The game is set in Salem, Massachusetts and progresses in a day/night cycle. At the start of the game, each player will get one of the various roles in the game, which are split into multiple teams. The goal of each team, or faction, is to kill or lynch all members of all opposing teams. Each role may have abilities which are commonly used during the night or attributes which have passive effects. The Town normally has the most team members with a great variety of roles, usually having the majority at the beginning of certain games, which can be used to their advantage. The Mafia, Coven, and Vampires have fewer members, but know their teammates and can speak with them at night. Neutral Killing roles rarely have any teammates but are immune to regular attacks. Other Neutral roles may have special goals, allowing them to team up with anyone to win. Depending on their role, a player may need persuasiveness, deception, intuition, logic or luck to win.
In the Classic version, the game can be played in eight different game modes:
- Classic Mode has a specific set of roles with little variance (9 Town, 3 Mafia, 3 Neutral).
- Ranked Mode allows for competitive gameplay. The role list is more varied than Classic but still balanced (9 Town, 4 Mafia, 2 Neutral). Playing this mode requires players to have finished at least 50 games with at least 10 of those being Ranked Practice. Once you have finished that, you must complete 10 Ranked Placement games, and then from there, you can start gathering ELO Points.
- Ranked Practice is very similar to Ranked; however, you must have 10 games played of it to play Ranked. The role list is the same (9 Town, 4 Mafia, 2 Neutral), but winning or losing does not change your Elo. You may join the game using a party and will know the usernames of your fellow players before the game, unlike in Ranked.
- Custom Mode allows the host to set whichever roles they want to include in the game. You may repick the host by using the command /repick in the chat.
- Rapid Mode is the same as Custom Mode, but the day/night phases are much shorter. This allows less time to plan an action or discuss information and for the Jailor and other night-talking roles to exchange or gather information.
- All Any Mode contains only Any slots in the role list, which is almost completely random.
- Vigilantics Mode consists of only of Vigilantes and Witches. Vigilantes can shoot other players and Witches can force Vigilantes to shoot who they want, resulting in short games. Witches, however, usually win this game due to their night immunity.
- Rainbow Mode has a fixed role list which looks like a rainbow. There are fewer Town members than in other modes.
- Coven Classic is essentially a very similar version to the original Classic Mode. It is meant for beginners trying to learn the new roles. It has little variance.
- Coven Ranked requires the player to have played at least 10 games in Coven Ranked Practice. The role list is slightly different from the classic Ranked as the Mafia are replaced with Coven.
- Mafia Returns is a game mode in Coven that introduces the newly added Mafia roles, which are the Ambusher and Hypnotist. It has a Mafia vs. Town vs. Neutral setup.
- Coven All Any and Coven Custom are essentially the Coven versions of their counterparts in classic.
- Lovers Mode and VIP Mode are alternating modes every Tuesday that players are able to play. Rivals mode was removed due to a decrease in popularity. They are all unique in their own ways with their own objectives.
Development and Release
BlankMediaGames, or BMG for short, is the company that made Town of Salem.
BlankMediaGames was founded in February 2014 by Josh Brittain and Blake Burns. The company is a small team of game enthusiasts that consist of five programmers, one community manager, one quality assurance manager, one product manager, and two artists (one focusing on UI and avatars, the other on backgrounds and houses). They are spread across the globe but united by their passion for gaming.
- PyromonkeyGG - Programmer/Co-Founder
- Achilles - Programmer/Founder
- DoxExer - Programmer
- rickms - Programmer
- shapesifter13 - Community Manager
- Tallgamer - Quality Assurance
- TurdPile - Administrator
- Jerme - Global Moderator
- Naru2008 - Global Moderator
- SpellChecker - Global Moderator
- Veeena - Global Moderator
Town of Salem may be played in a few different ways.
The browser version is free and can be played at www.blankmediagames.com/TownOfSalem.
Occasionally, the Public Test Realm server will be available, which includes new additions and changes to the game. Anyone with an account can play on this server when it's open at http://www.blankmediagames.com/TownOfSalem/PublicTestRealm. (Note: If you're having issues connecting to the PTR server, this is either due to it being down or set to staff-only.)
The Coven expansion may be purchased for $5.00 USD.
The Steam version costs $4.99 USD and comes with a few perks:
- Exclusive Steambot3000 Avatar
- 2000 Town Points
- 100% Bonus Merit Points forever
- Players who have connected their account to the Steam version will always gain two times the number of Merit Points.
- Players will receive this bonus, even if playing on the browser version or mobile version.
- No third party advertisements
- One-click login
- Faster load times
- Steam achievements
The mobile version is free and is designed for tablets. It was officially released for Android tablets on May 12th of 2016. The iOS app is currently only available in Australia. BlankMediaGames intends to release a mobile version designed for smartphones as well with the release of the Unity port.
Frequently Asked Questions
- My in-game results came up incorrect. Why is this?
This may be because a Framer had framed your target, a Witch had controlled you to visit a different player, an Arsonist previously doused your target, a Hex Master hexed your target, a Disguiser changed their own investigation results, or a Transporter had swapped your target with a different player.
- My night action did not go through and I was not role blocked. What happened?
You may have selected your action too close to when the night had ended and as a result, the server wasn't able to register your action. It is advised to select your target(s) with at least 8 seconds to spare in the night, depending on your connection. Additionally, getting in a Pirate Duel counts as being role blocked.
- I see some terms and abbreviations which I am not familiar with. What do they mean?
A list of abbreviations may be found on the Glossary of Abbreviations page.
- Why am I unable to use the < symbol?
That symbol is used for code which can break the chat, so it is disabled.
- I have a suggestion. Where may I share it?
If it is a suggestion to change a role or if you have a role you would like to see in the game, you may post in the Role Ideas section in the forums. All other suggestions may simply go in the Suggestions section.
- How can I change my username?
You may log into the game and go to the "Shop". By selecting "Account", you are given the option to change your username for $4.99 USD.
- I've forgotten my password. How do I retrieve that information?
Upon entering incorrect login information, a link will display: "Forgot your Password?" - Follow the instructions provided in the link.
- How can I change my password?
You will need to log into the forums to do this. The steps may be found here.
- Is it against the rules to ask for attributes or abilities from a player?
It is not against the rules to ask a player to read information off of a role card, though it is greatly frowned upon by the community and staff. It is also not against the rules to refuse to read off of a role card. This strategy is ineffective for experienced players and is unfair towards newer players. The common term players use for this strategy is known as "meta-gaming". More rules may be found on the Town of Salem Rules page.
- As of Ver 2.0, role cards are easily visible via clicking on the names in the role list, making this strategy worthless.
- Will there be more roles and cosmetics coming out?
Yes, the staff plan to continue releasing new content.
- How can I become a Global Moderator for the game?
Refer to this post. If you are not active on the forums, that would be the best place to start. Be active, helpful, approachable, and do not ask for a promotion.
- How can I see reports made against my account?
Refer to the TrialBot template for a thorough guide.
- I think I have found a bug. Where can I go to report this?
If you are playing on the browser version, you may post in the Bug Reports section in the forums. If you are playing the Steam version, you may post in the Steam Bug Reports section. Lastly, if you are playing on a tablet, you may post in the Mobile Bug Reports section.
- My game sometimes freezes/crashes. Why is this?
This is often a result of the player losing connection. It is recommended to try stabilizing your internet connection by going closer to your router or by plugging in an ethernet cable if applicable. In addition to this, Flash can be unsteady. BMG is currently porting the game to Unity, which should help make the game more stable.
- I am experiencing visual issues and I am seeing strange things on my game's screen. How do I fix this? (Example)
You need to clear your cache. It is advisable to at least clear the browser's cache any time there is a new patch out. If that doesn't fix the issue, you may need to also clear your Flash's cache.
Clearing Browser Cache: http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser's-Cache
Clearing Flash Cache: https://forums.adobe.com/message/4278569
Verifying Integrity of Game Cache for Steam Users: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335
- I have a friend who has referred me, but my count did not go up. Why?
Your friend must make a real-life currency purchase in order to activate the count. (More information)
- I have purchased the Steam version but did not receive my 2000 Town Points. How do I receive them?
When logging in on the game you must do the following:
- Click the 'Login with Steam' button.
- Click the 'Link Account' button to link an existing TOWN OF SALEM account or click 'Create Account' to create a new account.
- After logging in with the Steam button (using the information about your TOWN OF SALEM account, not your Steam account), you will be rewarded with your 2000 Town Points.
- I play Ranked mode and I notice that my loss counter is incorrect. Why is this?
The exact cause of this is not known, but BMG is aware of the issue.
- What does "Server Restart" mean?
The game will be unavailable for a short amount of time starting in a few minutes. This is occasionally done to perform maintenance.
- All of the names that are randomly selected for the player if no name is chosen were actual people from the real Salem witch trials of 1692.
- For a short period of time in May 2016, it was possible to change usernames for $5.00 U.S.D, and while this feature was removed, it was then reinstated in the 1.5 updates.
- BlankMediaGames attempted pushing out Town of Salem in 2013 by using Kickstarter. The goal was to achieve $20,000. Unfortunately, the Kickstarter project was unsuccessful with 63 backers and $1,375 pledged. It was advertised on Starcraft II Mafia's website.