Townies are the "good" side to Town of Salem. Their aim is to kill all "criminals and evil-doers", which are rival factions that harm the Town. These include: The Mafia, Neutral Chaos, and Neutral Killing roles (The Witch needs to be lynched if a Vigilante with bullets left is still alive). To that end, each innocent townsfolk contributes with varied abilities according to their roles, which are categorized into the Town Investigative, Town Killing, Town Protective, and Town Support alignments.
Compared to the other factions, townies' primary method of elimination is by lynching the evil-doers in trial, due to their relative size in membership, as well as the abundance of intelligence gathering roles. Using the correct information and using townies' majority, the evil-doers will be lynched after voting.
This doesn't mean townies lack the ability to directly kill their enemies, nor does it mean they are sitting ducks waiting to be killed should the lynching not go as smoothly as planned. The Town Killing and Town Protective roles are there precisely for this reason. But these roles can't reliably win the game for the townies. Active and accurate lynchings are still very much desired and needed to win games.
It is thus crucial for the townies to accurately parse the truths from the lies, which their enemies will no doubt spread. It is also important for them to act before they lose their majority to the evil-doers, as innocent townsfolk die every night, their doom draws ever nearer.
List of Town RolesEdit
Here are the list of town roles, each page goes into more detail about what each one does, but a brief description is provided here:
|Role Name||Role Alignment/Category||Role Description|
|Bodyguard||Town Protective||Sacrifice yourself to protect one person from death at night, killing their attacker and yourself.|
|Doctor||Town Protective||Heal one person each night, preventing them from dying.|
|Escort||Town Support||Distract someone each night. Certain roles are immune to role blocking such as other Escorts/Consorts, Transporters, Witches, Serial Killers, and Werewolves on Full Moons.|
|Investigator||Town Investigative||Investigate someone for a clue to their role.|
|Jailor 12||Town Killing||Choose someone each day to jail for the night. You may talk to them and choose to execute them.|
|Lookout||Town Investigative||Watch someone at night to see who visits them.|
|Mayor 12||Town Support||Gain 3 votes when revealing as Mayor.|
|Medium||Town Support||Speak with the dead at night. Seance a live player once. You may only seance when you are dead.|
|Retributionist 12||Town Support||Resurrect a Town member from the dead.|
|Sheriff||Town Investigative||Check one person each night for suspicious activity.|
|Spy 1||Town Investigative||Able to read Mafia chat and view who they visit. You may also listen to everyone's whispers.|
|Transporter 1||Town Support||Choose two people to switch places with each other at night.|
|Vampire Hunter||Town Killing||Check for Vampires each night, killing them if you visit one or they visit you.|
|Veteran 2||Town Killing||Decide whether or not to alert during the night, killing all your visitors.|
|Vigilante||Town Killing||Choose to take justice in your own hands and shoot someone. If you shoot a townie, you will commit suicide the next night.|
1 Easily confirmable town roles
2 Unique town roles
- Town Protective
- Try to protect the most useful players (eg, Mayor, Investigator, Jailor) once you know who is a town. This is helpful as a Late Game Strategy.
- If you are a Doctor and you know a proven Bodyguard (or Vice-versa) you may try to team up with them so you can heal them and they can guard you (or Vice-Versa). This will make an almost invincible team.
- Town Investigative:
- Always have evidence if you want someone lynched, otherwise, you will sound like an Executioner.
- If possible, team up with a Vigilante or Jailor: You can secretly find a Mafia member or Neutral Evil role, then tell your ally to kill them without needing to reveal yourself to the Town.
- If you have any information at all, DO NOT leave the game once you are dead. There could be a Medium or Retributionist. If you are dead, and a Medium is alive, then they could talk to you at night and you could share your info with them. They could either write the info down in their Will or tell the Town about it the next day if they survive. (Just in case they die, you should put it in your Will first.) Also, even if the Medium is dead, you could still provide them with info. If the Medium still hasn't used their 1 seance, then they could share the info that they have received from you with a trustworthy player via the seance. If there is no Medium at all, you should still be sure to ALWAYS share the info that you have with the dead players in the chat. The reason for this is that the Retributionist might not revive you, but instead revive another person that has a more important role, for example the Mayor. This way, that other person who got revived will be able to share the info that he obtained from you. This works in cases where there is no Medium in the game.
- If you think someone is Mafia, don't vote innocent unless there is proof that they are not.
- Try to stay on topic, unless there is no evidence or everyone else is roleplaying. Town of Salem is not a chatroom, despite roleplaying being very fun. Also, by staying on topic, you may catch mistakes that evil people may say in chat that other people may not notice.
- If there is a Mayor, tell them in chat. This will allow them to lead the town to possibly lynch an evil role.
- Don't reveal your role unless you are asked by someone you can trust, such as the Jailor (when jailed), the revealed Mayor, or a revived townie.