| Important Notice:|
The Spy has changed in Classic Salem and in the Coven expansion!
The Spy can no longer read whispers or Mafia's night chat.
No one is told at night if there is a Spy or not in the game.
The Spy will see who the Mafia and who the Coven visit at night.
"Be aware this is a temporary change that will not stick around. We will be
working to get a completely reworked Spy out there into the game soon."
Swift as the wind, the ex-ninja ran through the streets of Salem, entering a black forest. He dashed through the woods, graceful as a cheetah, until he saw a light ahead. He slowed down and expertly hid in a tree, silent as a thought. With the aid of his acute sense of hearing, he listened to the Mafia members discussing their future plans of terror and murder. The Spy clenched his hands, knowing that he could kill a man in thirty five different ways... but he couldn't. This was a group of armed men, and he was merely a weaponless man with some knowledge on killing. No - it would be better to let the town know who the perpetrators are, so that they could dispose of them instead.
In the daytime, those who he expected to die were lying on the ground, dispatched, in front of their houses. The Spy walked around, listening to everybody talk, knowing what everyone was whispering about. Using this information, he was able to judge who sounded like who... and who was part of the Mafia. (credit)
- When you are role blocked, jailed, or dead, you cannot and will not get to see who the Mafia/Coven visit.
- The last member of the Mafia visiting is the Mafia Killing attacking someone. ( may be changed after the update, not confirmed.)
- As a spy, you do not have the ability to hear whispers anymore, however the Blackmailer can still hear whispers.
- When the Mafia has a Blackmailer, you should try to figure out why the Mafia is trying to keep the blackmailed person quiet. Maybe they blamed the Mafia, and you don't have to reveal yourself as a Spy to point out that someone is blackmailed since you can just say that the person is being quiet and ask them to vote for you if they are blackmailed. Then tell everyone what they said before they were blackmailed.
- If a Jester is lynched, you may know off the chance if a member of the Mafia/Coven voted guilty, innocent, or abstained.
- If you are unable to gather a lot of information but still have some information to contribute, a good time to reveal yourself as a Spy is when you know there are a lot of targets as lots of other roles at this point are a higher priority to kill than the Spy. Otherwise, you should reveal yourself when you have some good information to contribute with, for example, if you know who one of the members of the Mafia/Coven is.
- Make sure to keep track of who the Mafia and Coven visit at night, in most cases the visited target will not be a member of the Mafia/Coven. You can use this information to narrow down who could be a member of the Mafia/Coven. However, a Witch/Coven Leader or a Transporter can make a member of the Mafia visit another (if this happens, members of the Mafia will often point out that they were visited by the Mafia, which could give you a lot of information on who the Mafia are.) A Potion Master could also be healing a member of the Coven so watch out for this. If an Amnesiac remembers that they were a member of the Mafia/Coven, they might be among the targets too.
- If no targets are visited at all, it is very likely that the Godfather or Mafioso was in jail or role blocked. In modes where the number of Mafia can vary significantly, such as All Any, it can also indicate that the Mafia are all dead.
- If a target is visited repeatedly but is not blackmailed, the Mafia might have a Consort, Disguiser or Framer.
- If none of the targets die, it is possible that one of the targets was attacked and either had a higher Defense value than said attacker's Attack value or was healed by a Doctor. This is especially true if a target was visited by multiple members of the Mafia (the second being a Forger or a Janitor).
- Keep track of who the Mafia visit at night and use the process of elimination to find who the members of the Mafia are. Be aware, however, that Transporters and Witches may make the Mafia visit themselves.
- You can also use the pattern of visits to figure out the role of the Random Mafia member.
- For example, if one person is visited two times, there is likely a Forger or Janitor in play. If they don't die, they may be healed or have a higher Defense value than the attacker's Attack value.
- If one person is visited and not killed, then visited and killed, this may point to the presence of a Consigliere. They would have investigated the person, shared their role, and then the Godfather or Mafioso would have decided to kill them. Keep this in mind especially if they are an important Town role, such as Jailor or Mayor, or one that could have found out members of the Mafia, such as Sheriff or Lookout.
- If one person is being visited repeatedly, this could indicate a Disguiser, Framer, or possibly a Consort who is intent on disguising/framing/role blocking one person. If the victim is claiming roleblocked, it is most likely Consort.
- The Spy has lost its ability to listen to whispers and the Mafia night chat in order to make room for a new Spy.