Screams rang through the cold night and the Doctor burst out of his house, barely just grabbing his medical kit as he raced along the streets. Arriving at the source of unrest, he discovered a young boy, lying down, coughing and sobbing. Instinct made the Doctor cover his face with his trusty surgical mask, and he was right in doing so. A closer inspection revealed the alarming truth. The red rash, the hacking coughs, and the huge black boils that had risen on the pale skin… this boy had the plague.
The Doctor should have been scared, worried, horrified, he knew this, but instead, he felt... fascination. How quickly could this disease spread, how many people could it kill? Hastily he took a sample, and commanded the boy’s family to be quarantined. Then, he hurried home to test this intriguing sample further. A week, and the Doctor finally held the result he was looking for. All he had to do was drop the solution on the path outside everyone’s houses, and the fumes would infect everyone who ventured there. He started to question himself, but then he remembered the other Doctor who always took the credit for himself, the Investigator who always snooped inside his house, the Jailor who roughly threw him in a cramped jail cell, and he felt better.
Inhaling the sweet scents of the herbs he put in his mask, the Plaguebearer infected person after person, using his dark robes to blend into the night. On the fateful night that the plague spread to everyone in the Town, the evil Doctor realized his power. As the moon was concealed under rolling grey clouds and the panicked screams rose from the town, Pestilence, Fourth Horseman of the Apocalypse, laughed so hard that tears rolled off his mask.
- You may choose to visit someone each night, infecting them with the Plague.
- You cannot choose people who are already infected; no button will exist.
- You will receive a list of everyone who has been infected at the end of each night.
- Players will not know they have been infected.
- If all players are infected, you will become the Pestilence.
- Being dealt a Powerful or higher attack the same night everyone becomes infected will still kill you, and no message alerting the Town will appear.
- If the last uninfected person is lynched, you will become Pestilence when the day ends.
- If a Jailor jails you and doesn't execute, you will infect the Jailor if he is not already infected.
- Anyone that visits you will become infected.
- Anyone who visits or is visited by a player who was infected at any time becomes infected, and if a player is jailed and not executed they will also infect the Jailor.(Do note that the Jailor won't infect anyone they jail due to the fact that the Jailor doesn't visit their target.)
- The Plaguebearer will sometimes only infect one person even though multiple people visited the target. This may be a bug.
- If one healthy person visits an infected person who visits another healthy person, it is possible to become Pestilence in five days without kills.
- An infected person who died and is resurrected by a Retributionist will still be infected.
- If the Jailor tries to execute Pestilence, Horseman of the Apocalypse, it will fail and the Jailor will instead be killed by Pestilence.
- If an Amnesiac remembers themselves as a Plaguebearer, they will become a Plaguebearer and will have to re-infect those not already infected. If they remember Pestilence, they become a Plaguebearer first, but become Pestilence as everyone has already been infected.
- If someone visits you and is intercepted by a Crusader or Bodyguard, they will not be infected.
- Try to visit people that you know are going to get a lot of traffic, but that are not going to die. For example, if someone says, "Investigate ____ tonight", you should probably infect the person they are going to visit, as the Investigator will bring the plague to other people.
- Try infecting names that stand out in the beginning of the game. Since you don't attack your victim, you are safe from Bodyguards. The Crusader can attack you, but due to your Basic defense you will be fine, despite the fact that they know one of their unknown visitors is immune. If a Lookout watches the same target and isn't targeted by the Crusader, you are done for, however.
- Try to infect a revealed Mayor or the Jailor because most Town Protective roles will be on them.
- Werewolf strategies work well with this role - but make sure you don't visit the same target as an actual Werewolf as you will die.
- Often times, going after Town Investigative or Town Support roles can spread the plague quickly, infecting them and anyone they visit.
- If you are role blocked by an Escort/Consort early in the game, you can always claim Tracker as you would know who you infect every night.
- As Plaguebearer, you usually want to participate in Town debates, talk and bring your help to the Town. If you stay silent, you will get spotted immediately after the Town receives the message stating that you turned into Pestilence and you will get lynched. Being active will help you claim a role easily afterwards and survive until there are only a few players left, which you can finish off with your newly gained Powerful attack.
- This does not stop another strategy of being to lay low and wait until there are 5 or less players alive, then start infecting. Becoming Pestilence should be easy because there will be only 4 or less people to infect. Be wary that you do not wait too long, however, or you may be found by the Town and lynched.
- Lookout is a good claim for this role, especially early on - You know who is infected, and players spread infection by visiting each other. By the same logic, Tracker is also a good claim. Be cautious about claiming these roles unnecessarily, however, as smart players will grow suspicious of you once you turn into Pestilence.
- Early on, you want to infect visiting roles so they spread the disease. Later on, you might want to target non-visiting roles yourself, especially ones that have been confirmed (and are therefore unlikely to be visited by anyone else).
- A Veteran being in the game makes it unlikely that everyone will be infected as long as they live. The advantage to this is that if Plaguebearer isn't explicitly on the role list, you can team up with a lone evil and claim Survivor. When the Veteran is lynched, you'll likely turn immediately into Pestilence, getting a guaranteed 1 vs. 1 victory.
- Sometimes, it is good to leave everyone except for one person infected, so the following day, if they are lynched, you are guaranteed a night to rampage without the fear of being lynched.
Dealing with PlaguebearersEdit
- If you are a Town Investigative role that is told to check upon another person's role, you might want to refrain from doing so if you know that the Town is vulnerable in the case of a Pestilence (for example, the Town only has the same amount of Townies as there are all evil roles combine). However, if you think you are already infected, or if you think it is inevitable that a Pestilence will be coming soon, then you should continue visiting that person, as you would be helping catch Pestilence by narrowing down the pool of suspects.
- The best way to stop Plaguebearer is to kill them early before they become Pestilence. If you are a Town Investigative role and you happen to find someone suspicious of being a Plaguebearer, it is not a bad idea to announce your suspicions of a certain person. Even then if the Plaguebearer becomes Pestilence, the whole Town will probably lynch Pestilence immediately. Announcing that you found a Plaguebearer earlier and then having them turn into a Pestilence makes your claim a lot more believable than if you just revealed it to the Town right when the Plaguebearer evolves.
Becoming Pestilence, Horseman of the Apocalypse Edit
- If you do manage to become Pestilence, you are armed with Powerful attacks, Invincible defense, and a devastating Rampage ability, however, you become everyone's top priority as you can decimate every role there is. Refer to the Pestilence page on strategies once you transcend.
- Unfortunately, your possibly suspicious claim that you had before will be thrown out the window and you will become a suspect. So it is crucial to have been a positive influence on the town and have a solid claim as Plaguebearer before the town turns to you as the first suspect.