Screams rang through the cold night and the Doctor burst out of his house, barely just grabbing his medical kit as he raced along the streets. Arriving at the source of unrest, he discovered a young boy, lying down, coughing and sobbing. Instinct made the Doctor cover his face with his trusty surgical mask, and he was right in doing so. A closer inspection revealed the alarming truth. The red rash, the hacking coughs, and the huge black boils that had risen on the pale skin… this boy had the plague.
The Doctor should have been scared, worried, horrified, he knew this, but instead, he felt... fascination. How quickly could this disease spread, how many people could it kill? Hastily he took a sample, and commanded the boy’s family to be quarantined. Then, he hurried home to test this intriguing sample further. A week, and the Doctor finally held the result he was looking for. All he had to do was drop the solution on the path outside everyone’s houses, and the fumes would infect everyone who ventured there. He started to question himself, but then he remembered the other Doctor who always took the credit for himself, the Investigator who always snooped inside his house, the Jailor who roughly threw him in a cramped jail cell, and he felt better.
Inhaling the sweet scents of the herbs he put in his mask, the Plaguebearer infected person after person, using his dark robes to blend into the night. On the fateful night that the plague spread to everyone in the Town, the evil Doctor realized his power. As the moon was concealed under rolling grey clouds and the panicked screams rose from the town, Pestilence, Fourth Horseman of the Apocalypse, laughed so hard that tears rolled off his mask.
- The Plaguebearer spreads the Plague through visiting and being visited. The Plaguebearer can visit someone once per night.
- You can't visit the people who are already infected by the Plague, therefore, you don't need to keep a track on who was infected.
- The Plague is also spread by visiting and being visited with infected players.
- Infected players will not know they have been infected.
- Once all players are infected, the Town is told that Pestilence has been summoned.
- Once the Plaguebearer turns into Pestilence, Horseman of the Apocalypse, it gains Invincible defense and Powerful rampaging attacks.
- You will know who's been infected each night.
- The Plaguebearer is a Unique Role.
- The Plaguebearer will sometimes only infect one person even though multiple people visited the target. This may be a bug.
- If one healthy person visits an infected person who visits another healthy person, you should become Pestilence in five days.
- An infected person who died and is resurrected by a Retributionist will still be infected.
- If the Jailor tries to execute Pestilence, Horseman of the Apocalypse, it will fail and the Jailor will instead be killed by Pestilence.
- Try to visit people that you know are going to get a lot of traffic, but that are not going to die. For example, if someone says, "Investigate ____ tonight", you should probably infect the person they are going to visit, as the Investigator will bring the plague to other people.
- Try infecting names that stand out in the beginning of the game. But be careful, as there could be a Bodyguard or Crusader that is going to protect them.
- Werewolf strategies work well with this role - but make sure you don't visit the same target as an actual Werewolf as you will die.
- Often times, going after Town Investigative or Town Support roles can spread the plague quickly, infecting them and anyone they visit.
- If you are role blocked by an Escort/Consort early in the game, you can always claim Tracker as you would know who you infect every night.
- Another strategy is to lay low (Maybe pretend to be Away From Keyboard) and wait until there are 5 or less players alive. Then start infecting. Becoming Pestilence should be easy, because there are only 4 or less people to infect.
- Be wary that you do not wait too long, however, or you may be found by the Town and lynched.
- Lookout is a good claim for this role, especially early on - You know who is infected, and players spread infection by visiting each other. By the same logic, Tracker is also a good claim.
Dealing with PlaguebearersEdit
- If you are a Town Investigative role that is told to check upon another person's role, you might want to refrain from doing so if you know that the Town is vulnerable in the case of a Pestilence (for example, the Town only has the same amount of Townies as there are all evil roles combine). However, if you think you are already infected, or if you think it is inevitable that a Pestilence will be coming soon, then you should continue visiting that person, as you would be helping catch Pestilence by narrowing down the pool of suspects.
- The best way to stop Plaguebearers is to kill them early before they become Pestilence. If you are a Town Investigative role and you happen to find someone suspicious of being a Plaguebearer, it is not a bad idea to announce your suspicions of a certain person. Even then if the Plaguebearer becomes Pestilence, the whole Town will probably lynch Pestilence immediately. Announcing that you found a Plaguebearer earlier and then having them turn into a Pestilence makes your claim a lot more believable than if you just revealed it to the Town right when the Plaguebearer evolves.
Becoming Pestilence, Horseman of the Apocalypse Edit
- If you do manage to become Pestilence, you are armed with Powerful attacks, Invincible defense, and a devastating Rampage ability.
- See the Pestilence page for more information about how to maximize these abilities.