She waits until night falls, then gently takes out her crystal ball. She murmurs her secret words, foreign to others' ears but warmly familiar to her own. The opaque clouds swirling within the glass clear away to reveal a shining, translucent orb of clarity.
The town has called her foolish many times for meddling with "fake magic," but they know not of the true nature of her powers. They say dead men tell no tales, but that isn't true for the Medium. As she moves her hands lightly over the gleaming crystal, words from the souls of the dearly departed begin to appear before her. She sifts through their words, carefully looking for any snippets of information that may help the Town. Her eyes light up – the town Sheriff had found a member of the Mafia, but had not been able to tell the Town before being stabbed by the Serial Killer at large. The next morning, she informs her fellow townspeople of the Sheriff's final discovery. The Mafia member is hanged and the townspeople cheer, but this victory does not come without a price. She is shot the next night by the Mafia, come to seek revenge for their brother's spilled blood.
Her life may be over, but her job is not. The next night, the Medium performs her final, miraculous act from beyond the grave. She speaks to the Mayor of Salem, sharing the final pieces of information gleaned from the dead. As the night ends, she knows she can rest easy. The Town will be all right. (credit)
- During the night, the dead will see any alive Mediums talking as "Medium".
- When talking to the dead, you do not hear other Mediums.
- When you are dead, you may click the sun icon during the day phase to "seance" a living person once.
- If you are jailed, you will hear both the dead and the Jailor; however, only the Jailor will hear you.
- As Medium, your main job is to relay what the dead are saying back to the living.
- By giving your name to dead Townies and asking them to check the names of other people that claim Medium, you can figure out who is actually a Medium or not. This also ensures that if any Town members that are revived by a Retributionist will know you're a confirmed Town member. Always state your name in the Medium chat at the start of every night to ensure that all new dead people will know your identity.
- As a Medium, you are capable of many useful things:
- You are one of three (Medium, Janitor, and Spy) roles that are able to figure out cleaned roles directly. Also, a Retributionist could revive someone other than a cleaned person, and the newly revived person can announce the cleaned role.
- You can also retrieve information from anyone that has had their Last Will modified by a Forger or cleaned by a Janitor.
- You can find out what happened to people before they died, such as if they were Blackmailer, role blocked, controlled by a Witch, or any other means of prevention or blocking.
- You can find out people's last Will entry before they died, discovering if an Escort or Jailor was killed by a Serial Killer they targeted with their abilities. Note that these roles receive a special message when killed by a Serial Killer they role blocked, but not when the same thing happens with a Werewolf, so they can't confirm that (although they may have suspicions based on what the person said, and may be able to tell you who they targeted that night if they forgot to put it in their will).
- You can get the last results of a Town Investigative role, which they have seen just before they died.
- You get the thoughts from the deceased on who they think is Town, Mafia, or Neutral Killing.
- You can talk to other Mafia or Neutral members to possibly get some more information using your seance.
- Be sure to ask any Town Investigative who they investigated the night before they died and what their results were.
- The Spy retains the ability to listen to whispers and Mafia members even after death (though they no longer see Mafia visits), and can report these things to you. Additionally, you can use their ability to read whispers to prove yourself in a variation of the usual spytest; have the Spy report the content of any whispers to you, then reveal them the next day to prove yourself.
- You can also prove yourself by getting any sort of secret information from the dead. Ask them for the contents of any whispers they sent or received so you can use it to prove yourself to whoever was at the other end; ask anyone who was jailed to tell you what they discussed with the Jailor (or, alternatively, ask the Jailor what they discussed with everyone they jailed), then use this to prove you're a Medium if necessary.
- Important: Your job in the Town is to carry on discussion after people die. It's beneficial having dead players discuss freely without any doubts once you're dead, as Townies can give you useful information. This role can change who wins and who loses, so discuss wisely.
- To prove you're a Medium and not a Janitor pretending, ask the dead for some information that another Town member might know. This will prove your innocence and remove suspicion.
- Don't always trust what a cleaned victim tells you, they could be a Neutral character or possibly even a Mafia member. Ask the deceased for proof before you tell everyone that someone is guilty. The dead can still be wrong or lie to prevent gamethrowing.
- It's a good idea to reveal your identity to the dead. They would cross you off the suspect list and, if there is another Medium, they'd know you're innocent as well.
- With multiple Mediums, you can use your seance to catch Mafia or Vampire. You can seance someone who is suspected of being one of these roles. You will see their messages to the others, and you can relay this to another Medium. This can happen on accident if your target is a confirmed town who was bitten.
- If there is another player claiming Medium, ask the dead if they hear two seemingly different voices. If they do not, you know the other player is lying.
- If it turns out there are two Mediums, you can use your seance to a third trusted person to make sure people don't think the second Medium is fake once you've died.
- When you are dead as Medium you can lie to the dead member of the Mafia. You can claim that you have wasted your seance, and then after about 30 seconds later ask that person who the last Mafia members are. You may have to convince that person that you have used your seance. Remember, he/she can still be lying or won't tell you who are the Mafia. If you manage to get information then use your seance on a trusted Town member and tell him/her the information.
- One way to confirm your role is to suggest that the remaining players whisper passcodes to each other; later, if a Town member dies, you can get their passcode from them and use it to confirm yourself. Even if there were no explicit passcodes, always try to demand dead Townies for the contents of any whispers they sent or received, since you can later use it to confirm yourself.
- You can speak to a just-lynched Jester and try to convince them to haunt your preferred target. While Jesters have no particular reason to listen to you, they often do; many of them want to have a big impact on the game and would rather haunt a Neutral Killing role rather than a random Townie.
- Reverse Psychology also works: if a Jester just got lynched, beg them not to haunt your preferred target. They may pick that target just to annoy you, but in reality, it is what you wanted.
- Having 2 Mediums can be the key to success in a round. If one of them dies, they can take info from the newly dead and tell this to the other Medium. They can also confirm each other by the dead almost instantly, provided they say their name. A revived Townie can also tell the Town who the Mediums are, making 4 Townies (The Retributionist by announcing or confirmed another way, the revived target, and the two Mediums) confirmed at once.
Using your SeanceEdit
- If you die, do not quit, even if you are dead on Night 1. You are still able to speak to a living person once through your Seance.
- Don't use your seance immediately after you die. Save it until you have enough useful information and have identified a living person you trust to use it.
- But do not save your seance too long. Many Mediums end up saving it until too late. Remember, you have to push the seance button the day before it happens, and the Town usually needs to still have a majority the next day or they won't be able to do anything with the information you provide. Practically speaking, this means the Town usually needs to have at least two more Townies than the Mafia on the end of the day you initiate the seance, which leaves you a very narrow window to seance effectively.
- It is possible to play a trick on the Mafia or a Neutral role by claiming you will seance someone to tell them something unimportant, then not talk during the night. Then during the next day, take a few guesses at who the Mafia are, and ask the role you have tricked if you are correct, and if you are not, ask who really is Mafia. Then, seance someone who they do not claim is evil, or who you know is town, and tell them they new information you have learned!
- Using your seance on any role that has the ability to speak at night (e.g. a Jailor, or any member of the Mafia) can lead to a very confusing and often irritating conversation, since other people will be speaking at the same time as you, yet neither of you can see the other's messages. In most cases it's a detriment to the player you're speaking to from beyond the grave. This can be useful as a distraction. For instance, if you have no other information to convey, seancing the Godfather and spamming the chat with confusing messages will hopefully hinder your enemies' decisions.
- Occasionally, if there is more than one way for the Town to access the living (a second Medium, a possible Retributionist, etc), it can be useful to Seance someone who you think is evil and to try and get them to confess. In particular, note that if there is a Spy and you seance a member of the Mafia, then they will hear anything a Mafia member your seance says (although not what you say); if you have a way of indicating to the living that the seance happened, this can be used to confirm that someone is a Mafia member simply by the fact that the Spy hears their side of the conversation, even if they avoid saying anything incriminating.
- If you use your seance on someone with useful information, always tell them to put it in their Last Will immediately. If you've identified them as reliable Town, the Mafia probably has too, and might kill them that night; if they don't write your information in their will, it might be lost.
- You can instruct the person you're using your seance on their ability in a particular way that very night. This can be particularly useful when seancing Vigilante, if the dead have identified a definite member of the Mafia, but it can be valuable with anyone provided you think they need a bit more information or a little push to do the right thing.
- The "Medium's Curse" is a popular belief that Mediums will be killed on the first night when their role is basically useless, despite the player not having revealed their role. Players will usually refer to it whenever it occurs, but not mention it if a Medium stays alive for more than 2 days. But if a Medium is one of the last alive, they might say that the "Medium's Curse" has failed or finally been lifted. The Medium's Curse is similar to the less popular "Retributionist's Curse".
- The "Hogan Scenario" when two Mediums are in the game, and their miscommunication causes a snafu during the day. The name comes from a character who was a second Medium, the quote from his defense portion "You're stupid brothers!"
- The Medium received a buff in Version 0.3.0 which was released on June 10th of 2014. Prior to then, the Medium would use his ability in the daytime to select one person from the graveyard to talk to anonymously during the night. In addition, once the Medium was dead, he did not have a seance available to communicate with the living.
- The Medium is considered one of the most useless roles in the game, but it is, in fact, extremely useful when you have the right roles.
- Some of these roles include: Jailor, Investigator,psychic, Spy, Retributionist, or Vampire Hunter.