The Lookout knew that all of the Mafia scum and even some of the out-of-Town maniacs preferred to work in night's mask of darkness, so sure that their deeds would be unseen by the sleeping citizens of Salem. Fortunately for the hapless townies, the Lookout sneaks through the town night after night, repeatedly attempting to catch a criminal red-handed. A former night watchman, he decided that the best way to keep an eye on the criminals of Salem was to beat them at their own game.
Under the Mayor's orders, he slips seamlessly into his environment to keep a watchful eye on his slumbering neighbours for any unexpected visitors, all while keeping the attention to himself as low as possible. And tonight, his diligence has paid off: the next day, the Town beauty was found cruelly assaulted and stabbed to death by the Serial Killer at large.
Just as the Town erupts into chaos as suspicion falls onto the Escort's last client, the Lookout silences them all before putting out his findings. With his leads, the Town moves to lynch the Escort's lone visitor while he attempts in vain to denounce the Lookout as a member of the Mafia. As the suspicious visitor draws his last breath, a bloody dagger wrapped in a parchment falls out of his robes.
The Town breathes a collective sigh of relief, and the Lookout feels elated for just a moment before he slips back to his home much earlier than everyone else. In his usual focused demeanour, he watches the Town once again from the shadows. (credit)
- If someone other than you visits your target, you will receive a message: "____ visited your target last night!"
- You can see visits made (or forced by a Witch) by:
- Any role that can choose a living target at night, including dead Mediums seancing your target. But not those that can only visit themselves (Survivors and Veterans).
- Some roles despite not actually visiting will be detectable by the Lookout if a Witch controls them. They include: Medium, Jester, Jailor, Retributionist, Amnesiac and the Werewolf on nights without a full moon. This is because these roles still technically "visit" in their own ways, like an Amnesiac visiting a dead target or a dead Medium visiting an alive townie to seance them.
- If an Escort, Consort or Jailor forces a Serial Killer or Werewolf to kill them, you will not see the killer visiting their victim.
- If a Doctor decides to heal himself, you will see the Doctor visiting himself.
- If a Bodyguard decides to use his vest, you will see the Bodyguard visiting himself.
- You will be shot by alerted Veterans if you choose to watch them at night.
- You will die from a Werewolf if whoever you're watching is attacked by one. However, you will know who the Werewolf is, useful to a Medium.
- You will not see yourself visiting your target, but other Lookouts will, and you will see them.
- You will not see a visit by an Arsonist igniting. You will, however, see the Arsonist visit themselves when they ignite.
- You will see names based on priority, such as if an Investigator and Serial Killer visit the same victim, the Investigator is the first name shown.
- As a Lookout, most people will not believe your claim right away because Lookout is a common Executioner claim. Therefore, it is VERY important to keep an updated will.
- As Lookout, it's important to keep track of what's going on during the day to spot out potential targets for the Mafia, Serial Killer, or Arsonist.
- A good idea if you don't have anyone you think will be targeted is to look at player names, a lot of people will target names that stick out.
- However, while they are generally more likely to get attacked, it is not a good idea to watch people who seem loud and annoying, as they could a Veteran baiting enemies. Additionally, if it is a Full Moon night, you might die from the Werewolf because they generally attack loud targets.
- Since smart players know that Lookouts will most likely hang around names that stick out, it might not be a bad idea to watch someone whose name doesn't stick out very much like "Jonathan Corwin" or "Betty Parris".
- If someone visited your target at night but said target does not die, you should not be so fast at telling everyone who visited since the visitor could be a fellow town member such as a Doctor, Bodyguard, or Investigator.
- If your target mentions that they were attacked (but only one person visited them), they could be an immune role lying to seem innocent to the Town. Likewise, if your target is killed and they only had one visitor, either that visitor is a killing role or the target had visited a Serial Killer (if they were an Escort, Consort, or Jailor) or a Werewolf that night. If your target is alive but doesn't mention being role blocked, jailed, doused, etc., the person who visited them might be a passive role, such as a Framer or Sheriff.
- Keep track of who visited who and if that person says something during the day, like "I was doused", or "I was blackmailed yesterday". This way you will know what role the person who visited was.
- If you are watching a target who is Night Immune getting attacked, they might say nothing about it the next day. For example: Arsonist, Serial Killers and Godfathers rarely expose that they were attacked during the night, so be careful and try to deduct who could be bad or good when reviewing someone's visitors.
- It is important to watch a revealed Mayor, for several reasons.
- First, this protects them. Any accusations you make against their killer will probably be believed, since it's logical for a Lookout to watch a revealed Mayor; if you don't watch the Mayor and they later die, your Lookout claim is unlikely to be believed. This will also allow you to identify the culprit if the Mayor is hit by a Blackmailer, bitten by a Vampire, or doused by an Arsonist. You can determine if the Mayor was bitten last night by attempting to whisper them.
- Second, Mayors tend to attract a lot of visitors; this allows you to identify other Lookouts, Bodyguards, Transporters, and the Jailor. If the Mayor is not blackmailed, not killed, or not turned into a Vampire (all of which tend to be obvious in one way or another), then it is fairly unlikely that any of their visitors that night were evil, since the other Mafia roles have little reason to visit him.
- This information on who visited the Mayor may allow you to confirm your own role later on (but be cautious about revealing it unnecessarily, since it could potentially out a high-value role like the Bodyguard or the Jailor) .
- If you are watching someone several nights in a row and you see the same person visiting them, you might have found a Doctor or Bodyguard. Try to avoid saying this to the Town to avoid Mafia attacking. If your target (protected by a Doctor) claimed that they were attacked and saved, try to deduct who the attacker could have been by viewing their other visitors. If they are silent, though, they could also be Blackmailed, so you should ask them to talk to find out if they are.
- If you see your target visiting themselves, there are only a few options for what they could be.
- They could be a Survivor, Doctor or Bodyguard that used their vest or self-heal.
- They could be a Transporter that transported themselves with someone else. Technically you will have been redirected to the other target, but since the Transporter visits both targets, you'll still see them as a self-visit.
- They could also be an Arsonist who ignited; but if this is the case, then you would see people burning the next day.
- It could also be an Arsonist who cleaned gas off themselves, which is triggered by visiting themselves or doing nothing.
- They could be a Veteran or Werewolf, but if you saw one of those roles self-target, you would die.
- Finally, while a Witch or Transporter could make someone not on the above list self-target, in that case you would see the Witch or Transporter as a second visitor.
- Therefore, if you see someone self-target as their only visitor, they are definitely not Mafia; and if you're not attacked and no doused people burn the next day, then you have definitely watched a Survivor, Doctor, Bodyguard, or Transporter.
- If a Witch controls you and you see yourself visiting your unknown target, the Witch has controlled you to target yourself. One of the other visitors you witnessed must be the Witch.
- Witches may be your worst enemy, so keep in mind if there is any of them in the game. For example, just because you saw someone visiting someone on non-full moon night doesn't mean that they are not the Werewolf, as the Werewolf will visit the target selected by the Witch.
- Consider visiting someone who has been blackmailed twice (or more) in a row. The Blackmailer will likely return to the same player to blackmail them again, and if the same person is blackmailed again the next day, you can confirm whoever visited them as a Blackmailer. Note that this may not work if two or more people visit the blackmail victim.
- Sometimes when an important role asks to be watched, you may do it if there's a real chance of them being attacked. But if they ask openly for it, then some killing roles will be scared off of attacking said important role, leaving you free to watch others. However, this is a risky thing to do.
- A smart way to prove your innocence to the Jailor, since lots of evildoers claim Lookout to him, is making the Jailor says who he is visiting the next night and watching the target he chooses. So, in the day, you whisper to who visited the Jailor's target, as it can prove you as the Lookout to them (since you're finding the Jailor).
- If you identify a Mafia Killing role and need to make the Town listen to you, one easy way to do so is to ask that a Jailor or Escort targets them; while this hinges on the Town having those roles, it costs them very little to check out one lead, so most of them will be happy to oblige. Most of the time, keeping a Mafia Killing role blocked or jailed is more effective than hanging them anyway, since it renders the entire Mafia unable to kill.
- An Investigator may suspect you of being a Forger or an Amnesiac who plans to be evil once he checks you out. Prepare your will or any other piece of proof to try and prove yourself as a Lookout once he starts asking or accusing you.