“The human mind is very… complicated, is it not?” a voice asked from the shadows of the room.
“What do you want from me?” the man in the chair yelled, soaked in sweat, with blood running down his cheek.
The shadowy figure emerged and wiped off the blood. It’s always important to make sure the client is relaxed before commencing with the process. The figure shushed the man in the chair.
“Everything will be okay.” the figure proclaimed.
“Everything will be okay.” the man replied before being sent off to the dream world.
The hypnotist snapped out of this side of himself. Turns out that if you know the right people, a degree in psychology can pay extremely well.
He went to the nearby Consigliere.
“Ya sure it was the blonde guy on the corner that killed Tommy?”
“Sure as I’ll ever be.” she replied, wiping the Sheriff’s blood off the rusted hammer.
The hypnotist returned to the Sheriff in the chair and gave him a firm slap across the jaw. He fell back into his medical side. This was so much more fun than working with those crazies in the asylum.
“Do you know that blonde man who lives three houses away from you?”
“Yes, I do.”
“He is a very bad man. He tried to hurt you tonight.”
The hypnotist knew that this was working. He was just thinking about how fun this would be to do on the Mayor. All that power manipulated with a few simple words.
He took out his pocket watch and let it swing in front of the man's face.
“But we protected you. He tried to hurt you but we saved you.”
“You protected me and he tried to hurt me. I will tell the town and stop the man from hurting anyone else.”
The man silently took the Sheriff back to his house to sleep. The man knew who would hang tomorrow. The Godfather would be very pleased.
- Confuse somebody every night.
- Confusing somebody will generate a message that the target player sees on their screen:
The following messages are available to the Hypnotist:
- You were transported to another location.
- Someone occupied your night. You were role blocked!
- You were attacked but someone fought off your attacker!
- You were attacked but someone nursed you back to health!
- You feel a mystical power dominating you. You were controlled by a Witch!
- You were poisoned. You will die tomorrow!
- You were attacked but someone protected you!
- You were poisoned but someone nursed you back to health!
- Someone tried to poison you but someone fought off your attacker!
- You triggered a trap!
- You were attacked but a trap saved you!
- A trap attacked you but someone nursed you back to health!
- You are a wildcard to your team, with the ability to manipulate messages people receive. This can help with claiming specific roles, though that isn't to say if you select the wrong message, your presence is revealed.
- Claiming to be a Doctor may not be a bad idea - if you hypnotize someone to think that they were attacked but healed, they will most likely say something along the lines of, "Thanks, Doctor," the next morning. Whispering them saying, "You're welcome," will make them feel indebted to you and more likely to support your claim if you are accused.
- While claiming to be an Escort may seem like a stupid idea because you cannot directly role block someone, your hypnosis can cover that for you. This is reinforced by the fact that most people claim they were role blocked.
- Be wary of Serial Killers, however, as anyone who role blocks them will die. Although they can hardly call you out on it, a smart Serial Killer will know you are a Hypnotist and attack you.
- Additionally, remember that if you send a fake role-blocking message to someone whose ability produces obvious results (such as most investigative roles), they'll immediately know there's a Hypnotist.
- Finally, a Spy can easily call you out, and, although they will accuse you of being a Consort, you will likely be killed.
- Investigators limit your claim-space down to an Escort or Transporter. If you choose random people to hypnotize into believing they were role-blocked, and can disprove your claim, you may be lynched easily. In this case, Transporter is a decent claim if there are no Spies around.
- Claiming Transporter can be a good idea if you claim that you transported someone that was killed or claim to have been transported yourself. Usually, the Town will have no idea this was the work of a Hypnotist. It works even better if your target freely shares they were transported.
- If your will consists of only transporting one person with yourself, or dead people, you may be suspected as a Hypnotist. You can have another Mafia member claim transported to justify your claims a bit.
- However, a Spy can discredit you fairly easily if they realize many of your targets match Mafia visits. This will immediately call out the other Mafia members that supported you once you are killed.
- Making investigative roles think they were controlled by a Coven Leader can be useful, since it makes them doubt their investigative results. However, if you do this past night 3, or the Coven Leader is already dead, it will be obvious this message was fake.
- You can use your hypnotism to eliminate claim-space that a Town member needs in order to get them lynched - for instance, making it appear that there's a Transporter or Escort occupying Town Support so people won't believe a Medium claim. When using your ability in this way, try to target someone talkative and trusted so they'll volunteer the falsified information on their own, or Town members whose votes you particularly need to lynch the victim.
- You can manipulate Doctors using your poison message; most Doctors will immediately heal anyone who claims to be poisoned. This can be used to lure them into an Ambusher or just to keep them away from whoever the Mafia is actually attacking. Make sure that there's a Doctor present first, or it will be obvious there was a Hypnotist when the target fails to die to poison. Additionally, make sure to give a message stating that a Doctor healed your target of poison that night.
- Sending a poison message and no follow-up (and other bizarre messages) can sometimes be useful for discrediting people; while the Town might realize there's a Hypnotist, they may also assume that someone making nonsensical claims is a Jester.
- Your Bodyguard message might seem useless at first (because the Town will immediately be suspicious at the lack of a corpse for both the Bodyguard and the attacker), but if there's an potential Necromancer to make an attack that leaves no attacker's corpse, the Bodyguard message can sometimes be utilized by claiming to be a Bodyguard who was saved by a Doctor. Better yet, you can have another Mafia member pretend to be the Doctor who healed you (whispering you as soon as the next day begins), which will discourage other evils from attacking either of you. The catch is that you risk outing two Mafia members if either of you gets caught.
- Remember, you can manufacture false claims for anyone in the Mafia, not merely yourself; you can also prepare them, share them in the Mafia chat, and have whoever needs them use them when pressed. It's a good idea to prepare an excuse or two for other Mafia members in advance, using messages to prepare things that anyone can claim if pressed.
- When manufacturing fake claims for the entire mafia, roles that only produce occasional messages (such as Doctor or Bodyguard) are more useful than ones that would be expected to produce them every night (like Escort or Transporter). You can still fake 'noisy' roles by making most of your visits be to dead people, but it's more risky, and other Mafia members are unlikely to prepare the detailed fake will this requires - whereas "if you get in trouble, claim Doctor and say you healed this guy" is much easier to remember and fall back on.
- When using messages to set up fake claims, it's useful to send them to people who are unlikely to die (and who the Mafia isn't going to want to kill for a while), such as Survivors - after all, if the person who received your message dies, it's going to be wasted. Be cautious about relying on Jesters, since they may lie about your messages in order to get killed themselves.
- The wide variety of messages available to the Hypnotist means that Town members rarely suspect any one of them. Convoluted or unlikely claims (such as a Bodyguard who was healed or a Doctor who happened to heal someone) are actually more likely to be accepted, since a Hypnotist making those claims is even more rare. Fantastic claims are also more likely to make an impact on the Town, whereas common ones might simply be ignored.
- If your killer is jailed or being role-blocked, you can use the attack messages to fake Mafia attacks and reduce suspicion against them.
- If you can identify the Jailor, sending him a message that he was attacked and nursed back to health can make him suspect whoever he jailed that night of being a Serial Killer. Sending that message to an Escort can have a similar effect.
- The Hypnotist may become a unique role.