Something awakened in her that day. Exploring the book became an obsession, consuming every aspect of her life. The townspeople's jeering of her seclusion only added fuel to her passion.
Only one entry in the book eluded her powers. A hex of mass destruction. Every night she sneaked to her grandmother's tombstone to attempt the curse. She knew of another sorceress who practiced at the cemetery, but she felt performing the spell at her grandmother's grave was the only way she'd ever successfully complete it.
The spell fizzled into dust. The rats' beady eyes felt as if they were taunting her. A fresh wave of grievance came over her. She grabbed one of the rats and flung it across the clearing.
It landed by the grave the Necromancer was reanimating, disrupting her concentration. Startled, she moved to where the Hex Master was working. The Necromancer watched as she raised a hand towards her furry subject and recited an incantation towards a rat. She meticulously went through this process for each one.
Upon hexing the final rat, strength began to flow through her fingers. It manifested itself as a soft purple glow. It slowly evolved to a large flame on her palm. Her hand recoiled slightly, and the flame trembled. She calmed it back to rest in the middle of her palm. Moments later, the group of rodents' hair collectively stood on end. She took a deep breath and snapped her fingers. The blaze instantly left her hand and engulfed the rats, erasing them from existence.
The Necromancer made a noise of surprise and stepped out from behind her cover. "Who are you?"
She rose from the cold dirt and turned to face the Necromancer, who stared at the ashes in disbelief.
Her devilish smile accurately conveyed the joy she felt finally executing this curse.
"I'm the.. Hex Master."
- The Hex Master is a role with the ability to Hex one player each night. When all the non-Coven players left alive have been hexed, all hexed players will die in an Unstoppable attack.
- Players are not told that they are hexed.
- Hexed players will appear as a Coven member to the Sheriff. They will also show up under the Hex Master's results to an Investigator.
- With the Necronomicon, you gain Astral and Basic attacks, meaning your hexes are no longer considered to be visiting a player.
- Don't go down or up the list starting from top or bottom, as these players often get targeted by other killing roles, or worse, protected by a Town Protective role or is an alerted Veteran. Picking random people with a name that doesn't stand out means you'll be able to win quicker.
- Keep track of the people you have hexed and share it to the Coven members. Kill the ones who are not hexed to end the game quickly.
- As the Coven is also capable of killing, ask your Coven to not attack the person you've hexed in order to not perform any useless work.
- If you know that the Coven is in danger of losing, use the Hex Master as a bluff, say something along the lines of, "Everyone is hexed except [insert player's name here]!" Using this threat, you'll be able to trick the Town into doing your bidding in exchange for not Hexing the "last not Hexed player". This creates panic, and diverts attention from the Coven.
- When choosing what people to hex, follow the strategies of an Arsonist, since both roles work in the same way.
- Choose people who you think will live the longest. Remember, when every living Townie becomes hexed, an Unstoppable Attack happens, purging the rest of the Town in late game. Even if there are only 3 people that oppose you, if you guessed that they were going to live until the end of the game and hexed them earlier, you could still finish them off, which would ensure your victory.
- Bear in mind that your hex will not kill Pestilence, as it has Invincible Defense.
- Use Astral as your great advantage. Being passive means you do not have to worry about getting killed by the Town Protective and able to get undetected by Town Investigative roles.