The Death Note is a piece of paper left behind by Town Killing, Mafia Killing and Neutral Killing roles on their victims. If available to them, players can edit what is shown in a Death Note using the button at the top of the screen, looking like a bloody piece of paper. A Last Will and death note may hold up to 400 characters each. If a player dies, the Death Note can be reopened and reviewed at any time by selecting their name in the dead players area.
If you killed multiple victims in the same night (e.g. as an Arsonist), your death note will appear for each of them. Additionally, you can change your Death Note while the victims are being announced in the morning.
Content of Death NotesEdit
Sharing Information or Framing Edit
- Death Notes are a good way of circulating info while staying anonymous. This can be used by any Killing role.
- Sometimes a Death Note can include if a player is immune, to make sure the person who tried to kill the immune person isn't openly announced (e.g. Godfather attacks Player A, but Player A is immune. Next night, Godfather kills Player B, and the death note includes that Player A is immune, and therefore suspicious).
- Sometimes near the end of the game, where the Mafia is the slight minority, the Mafia may frame someone by saying "Our Consigliere says he is the Arsonist" or "Joe was immune" in their death note. Watch out for that!
- Sometimes, a way of implicating others is by putting a player name in the Death Note. Most will probably realize this is not the real killer, but it throws a lot of suspicion around.
- Death Notes can confirm what your intended action was during the night if you worry about Witches or Transporters altering your play. For example, if you aren't intending to shoot anyone as Vigilante, you can make your Death Note say "Witch, not me", in case a Witch forces you to shoot someone.
Revealing Yourself Edit
- For cocky and risky players sometimes putting their own name in the death note is a viable strategy however most likely this will lead to questioning and death by vigilante or lynch. Death notes are highly untrustworthy but smart players (evil) can manipulate them to further their own lives, manipulate other players of the town, destroy other immune roles and most obviously throw off the game.
- One thing you can do as Town Killing is to put a message in your death note that only you know what it means and can explain to other people. Then when they choose to question you, you can say then that this is you and here's why. Its a good alternative to putting your name in your death note so that you can stay incognito, if you're clever.
Other Uses Edit
- Sometimes Town Killing players, like the Veteran, might leave behind an apologetic death note in case they kill anyone innocent.
- Sometimes the killer will actually be quite helpful and leave clues about who they are or who they will kill next which if after looking at all the people they have killed you can enlist a bodyguard to protect them in order to kill a mass murdering character (Mafioso, Werewolf or Serial Killer). They may use a certain speech pattern or misspell specific words. However, beware of a killer planting false information.
- Death Notes are still quite an important part of the game. This is because a person's character can often be found through death notes or imitated. Smart Mafia or Neutral Killing roles can impersonate someone and ensure that they are suspected. More experienced players may completely disregard it but they help prolong the discussion making it easier for mafia to survive.
- A player should never use a Death Note as a "calling card" (if they have acquired a killing role multiple times in consecutive games within a short time frame) as Town roles that are involved in two or more consecutive games with the same player may link a previously used Death Note with the corresponding skin, house, pet and/or name of the player and call them out.
- Death Notes can be used as a Neutral Killing to try to get suspicion off you. If people are accusing you of being a Serial Killer or something of that nature, kill someone that night and put in your death note "[your name] is the Serial Killer", though more experienced players may call you out on the double bluff.
Things to note Edit
- Writing a Death Note against someone when you are the Serial Killer might not be wise, as if you are role blocked and leave a obvious targeted Death Note, it reinforces your role as Serial Killer if a will was recorded on the role blocker's visits.
- Same goes for Mafia: If you are the Godfather, writing a Death Note that reveals that you killed the person is not a good idea either, since if the Mafioso is role blocked, it will display your Death Note, and might give away that the Mafioso was role blocked.