In Town of Salem, "death" is the removal of a character from the game, either at night by a killing role, during the day by lynching, or by leaving the game (which marks the player as "committing suicide").
You may also die by other means than stated above, if a Vampire bites a member of the Mafia, they will die (except for the Godfather). You may also die from a Jester haunt or if you are a Vigilante and shot a fellow Townie, you will commit suicide (not by leaving the game) the following night.
If you die, you will join the graveyard, where you are unable to talk to anyone alive. You may, however, continue to speak with anyone else sent to the graveyard during both day and night, and with any living Mediums at night.
Death at Day Edit
Death at Night Edit
Players that die during the night commonly have been killed by a killing role (the Mafia Killing, any Neutral Killing, or Vigilante). Players killed at night may have also visited a Veteran whilst they were on alert, been executed by a Jailor that jailed them, or attacked a player being protected by a Bodyguard. Most causes of death at night can be prevented by a Doctor healing the player on the night they were attacked.
When a player dies overnight, their screen flashes red, their role (displayed on the top right corner of the screen) disappears, and the chat will notify how you died (Mafia, Serial Killer, Werewolf etc.) and underneath that, you will see the words "You have died!"
Night Immunity Edit
Players that have Night Immunity cannot be killed by killing roles such as the Vigilante, Serial Killer, or a Mafia Killing role. However, they can be killed by a Jailor's execution, visiting a player that is protected by a Bodyguard that night, an Arsonist's ignition (assuming they have been doused beforehand), visiting a Veteran while they are on alert, or being attacked by a Werewolf.
Suicide commonly means that the player left the game at some point. This is usually frowned upon, especially when players with roles deemed particularly useful (such as Mayor, Doctor, and especially Jailor) leave. If a Vigilante shoots a member of the Town, they will be forced to commit suicide (without quitting the game). Additionally, a Jester can choose to haunt a living person if they get lynched, which will be described as haunted rather than "killed by Jester".
Notifications of Death Edit
Depending on the circumstances of death, several different messages will appear whilst the dead are announced to the Town. There are two different message categories which appear: who died (with a unique message to how brutally they were killed depending on how many different causes of death there were), and what killed them.
Note that if a player is killed, then all killing roles that targeted them that night will be listed as causes of death, even if some of them couldn't actually kill them or would have normally been prevented. For instance, if a Jailor executes their target on the same night that that target is attacked by a Serial Killer, the victim will show up as killed by both the Jailor and the Serial Killer, even though normally being jailed would protect them from the Serial Killer's attack. This is a confirmed bug - although it has very little effect on gameplay.
Numbers of Killing ActsEdit
- Player was killed last night. / We found Player dead in their home last night.
- This notification appears when one killing act occurs on the player.
- If the player left the game, the "We found (player name) dead in their home last night" will be shown.
- Player was brutally murdered last night.
- This notification appears when two killing acts occur on the player.
- Player was slaughtered last night.
- This notification appears when three or more killing acts occur on the player.
Suicide by leaving the game also counts as a separate cause of death. The brutality messages for more than three causes of death are also "slaughtered".
List of all possible Death Notifications sorted by order of them:
- They apparently committed suicide.
- A player who left the game.
- They were also executed by the Jailor.
- They were also shot by a Vigilante.
- They were also killed by a Veteran.
- They were also killed by a Bodyguard.
- When a killing role like a Serial Killer attempts to attack a person who has been protected by a Bodyguard.
- They were also staked by a Vampire Hunter.
- They were also bitten by a Vampire.
- They were also killed by a member of the Mafia.
- They were also incinerated by an Arsonist.
- They were also stabbed by a Serial Killer.
- They were also mauled by a Werewolf.
- They also died from guilt over lynching the Jester.
- They also died from guilt.
- They also died guarding someone.
- A Bodyguard who targeted the same person as a killing role
List of all possible Death Notifications sorted by order of them (ONLY in the expansion)
- They were hexed by a Hex Master.
- They were also poisoned by a Poisoner.
- They were also killed by the Potion Master.
- They were also turned to stone by Medusa.
- They were also drained by a Coven Leader.
- They were also killed by a Crusader.
- They were also killed by a Trapper.
- They were also ambushed by a member of the Ambusher. (A bug, but could've been fixed)
- They were also plundered by a Pirate.
- They were also obliterated by Pestilence, Horseman of the Apocalypse.
- They were also assaulted by a Juggernaut.