They are the major rival to the Mafia as they both coincide with the ability to kill, deceive and have similar goals, but the Coven can easily bypass their defenses. For the Coven to succeed, they must figure out who to kill and avoid less on lynching their rivals, unless it is severely needed.
Despite their massive killing power and abilities, they all can get pinned down equally by multiple roles, killing or blocking alike. Only a few Coven roles can bypass the lure of an Escort, Consort, or even a swashbuckling Pirate, or avoid to be killed by any means necessary. The Necronomicon is simply a help to the Coven; if they are discovered, they most likely won't survive the night.
If the Coven want to succeed, they must rely on who to kill and when killing would be available, and who to ally with. Rivals such as the innocent Townies and the dominant Mafia won't stand down without a fight, and any Neutral Killing roles out there won't hesitate to destroy their faction. Thus, the Coven must kill those who can pin them down and use their voting power to easily lynch their opposers, no matter the cost.
Some roles in this faction include:
|Role Name||Role Alignment/Category||Role Description|
|Coven Leader||Coven Evil||You may choose to control a player and use their ability on another player.
With the Necronomicon, your first target is dealt a Basic Attack, and you also gain Basic defense.
|Hex Master||Coven Evil||You may choose to hex a player each night. If all players left alive are hexed, they will all be dealt an Unstoppable attack.
With the Necronomicon, your hexes become Astral and you deal a Basic attack to everyone you hex.
|Medusa||Coven Evil||You may choose to Stone Gaze at night, turning everyone who visits you to stone, erasing their role and Last Will. You can only stone gaze three times.
With the Necronomicon, you gain unlimited Stone Gazes and can now visit players to turn them to stone.
|Necromancer||Coven Evil||You may reanimate a dead player and use their ability on another living player. A dead player can only be reanimated once.
With the Necronomicon, you may perform a Basic attack against your target by selecting yourself as your first target.
|Poisoner||Coven Evil||You may choose to poison a player each night. That player will die the next night unless healed by a Doctor or Guardian Angel.|
|Potion Master||Coven Evil||You may choose to use a healing potion, a revealing potion, or an attacking potion each night. Each potion has a 3-day cooldown.
With the Necronomicon, your potions no longer have cooldowns.
The Coven will receive the Necronomicon on Night 3, increasing the strength of the person who has it. It is automatically given to the Coven Leader; if they are not alive, or if whoever has it dies, it is inherited by another member of the Coven in the order of who joined the lobby first (analogous to how the role of Mafioso is inherited within the Mafia). However, if the Coven Leader dies and an Amnesiac remembers the role of the Coven Leader, then they will inherit the Necronomicon once the member who currently possesses it dies. Whoever has the Necronomicon becomes Detection Immune to the Sheriff, but the Sheriff can still find other members of the Coven.
Dealing with The Coven Edit
- Coven Leaders usually claim Lookout, be very careful with Lookout claims. If someone claims controlled and a Lookout will has them visiting another player, it's possibly a Coven Leader faking genuine results.
- Hex Masters don't have any decided Town claimspace, so Framed or Jester claims are often the Hex Master in disguse.
- Medusas Can act like an important role asking for town protectives, or chat throughout the game without claiming, which makes people visit them, and they sometimes can claim veteran, so if there's no veteran kills and no one else claims veteran, they might be evil. Psychic claims are also common for Medusas, so if someone speaks up at the middle/end of the game as a Psychic, lynch them.
- Necromancers can visit dead people if you are a Tracker and you see a player visit a dead that player is not resurrected they are probably the Necromancer.
- Poisoners usually claim Sheriff. In addition to this, their targets are often outspoken about being poisoned. If you are a Lookout, unless you want to find out who the Doctor is, don't watch them and watch someone who you believe it is in the best intrest to poison. Mayors are often the target of poison.
- Potion Masters usually claim Doctor. They however cannot heal for 2 nights after healing (Until they have the Necronomicon. If a Doctor claim suddenly stops healing poisoned players for 2 nights, or the Poisoner isn't active for 2 nights, there's a Potion Master afoot.
- The Coven is the only faction without a roleblocker.
- All Coven roles are Unique Roles.
- Coven Support was an alignment in the PTR that was going to include some of the Coven roles, but was scrapped by BMG.