Communicating with other players is possible during the game, in the lobby, in a party with friends and in private messages with friends.
During Gameplay Edit
During the day, players can chat with each other. If a player was blackmailed the previous night, they cannot talk.
Members of the Mafia, along with any Vampires and Coven in the Coven Expansion update, can talk to each other during the night. A Vampire Hunter can read Vampire chat, but there are no current roles in the Coven expansion that has the ability to read Coven chat. However, no names except "Mafia" and "Vampire" are shown. A known glitch is that when a Disguiser disguises as a Vampire, the Disguiser can read the Vampire chat along with the Mafia chat.
If a player is jailed, they cannot write in the Mafia or Vampire chat, but they can still hear others talking in it. They can only talk to the Jailor directly, who will be called "Jailor" in the chat.
To whisper, write in the chat, "/w (player name or number) (your message)".
/w John Smith I am the Sheriff!
/w 5 I am the Sheriff!
It is highly recommended to type the player's number instead of their name. Not only is it faster, but there is an issue of whispering to a person with a similar name as another. For example, if you choose to whisper to "John Harthorne", the game might accidentally send your whisper to "John", who is a different person.
While other players will not be able to see your message, they will receive a message that you have whispered to the other player, e.g. "Fred is whispering to John Smith." That said, you should be careful about how many times you whisper, as players might get suspicious of you. However, you shouldn't worry too much about getting suspicion, unless the game you are in has a lot of Neutrals.
You will be unable to whisper (and talk) during the day if you are blackmailed. You will also be unable to whisper when dead.
Notes: Typing "/help" or "-help" in the chat will pull up a message to remind you how to whisper to another player. You cannot whisper to yourself, because that would be weird.
- You can whisper your role to any confirmed Townie, forming an alliance of trust against the Mafia and Neutrals. This is most often done with a revived/resurrected Townie, as their role has been confirmed by death. It was also used to give roles to a revealed Mayor, until an update came upon, where the revealed Mayor was not allowed to be whispered to.
- If you are a Town Investigative, you could whisper your role to players you have determined to be Town members, gaining their help when trying to lynch someone you have found to be evil. If you investigated someone, you could ask that person to whisper their role to you. This can help you figure out that person's exact role, but beware as it is possible for them to lie.
- You can ask other players to use their ability in a certain way, e.g. role block someone you suspect to be the Godfather.
- As a Blackmailer, you can read all the information in the whispers and provide them to the Mafia and benefit them with it.
- As an Executioner, you could whisper your target, acting like a Town Investigative or trying to make them look suspicious.
- As a Jester, you can use whispers to spread misinformation, making you look suspicious once you are discovered, or use 'failed whispers', e.g. "w/ I am mafia, join my team".
- However, most experienced players will see this as an obvious Jester play and ignore you (not the command)
- An evil role can also use this to look like a Jester and make people not want to lynch you.
- As a Consigliere or Witch, you might have figured out another non-Town member's role and could ask them to team up with you.
Town Investigatives or role blockers may visit you at night because whispering attracts attention. Additionally, you will reveal information to a Spy or a Blackmailer if you ask someone to team up with you.
Ignoring a playerEdit
Players may choose to "ignore" a player. If you ignore a player, you will not see any words that they say in the chat (You can't ignore someone while in the lobby, however. If someone is spamming or being rude in the lobby, take a screenshot and report them). If they attempt to whisper to you, you will see that they have sent a whisper, but you will not see the whispered message itself.
Ignoring is usually reserved for spammers, and it is a bad idea to ignore someone who isn't spamming or being rude - they may uncover important information later on and you won't be able to see it.
To ignore a player, type "/ignore (player name or number)". Example:
/ignore John Smith
To be able to see a player's messages again, type "/unignore (player name or number)". Example:
/unignore John Smith
Note: Ignoring a player only lasts for that particular game. The moment you exit a game, any ignored players will go back to not being ignored.
In the Lobby Edit
In the Custom Mode lobby, you can type /repick to vote for replacing an inactive host or one that is not preparing a role list that you want to play. You can do this in any lobby, though it's only helpful use is in Custom Mode.
Chat Filter Edit
The chat filter can be enabled or disabled in the "Chat" settings in the main menu. It replaces many offensive words by different words. The table below contains some examples.
|Allah Akbar||Lord Almighty|
|B**ch||Snap Crackle Pop|
|Bulls**t||Son of a Gun|
|Bastard||Child born out of wedlock|
|KYS (kill yourself)||Kick the bucket|
|Suck it||Plant a flower|
|You are garbage/trash or You suck||You are a great player|
|(only when preceded with "You are/ Are you") Gay||an upstanding citizen|
|Go to hell||prithee transport thyself to tarnation|
Message Rejected for Vulgarity Edit
There are several words which are deemed too offensive and as a result are completely censored. Attempts to use these words will result in the entire message being removed and a warning message being displayed to the player. Repeated use of these words can result in an automatic suspension on the player.
If the player receives a warning from closing their Last Will, they should immediately open their will and find the text with which the filter has issue. The system may pick up some words or names as trying to bypass the filter. This also applies to a Death Note.
- Previously, dead chat names were grey instead of red