| Version 2.3.2 Update:|
Arsonists are no longer killed by Bodyguards or Trappers!
A young man, ex-military, dressed in black, patrols the houses of the town at night. Struggling to make a living, he decided that he could make money protecting others. Knowing that anyone, and anything could be lurking in the night, he could use his skill from battle to protect the town members.
The job paid well, so well that the Mayor offered to pay him personally for protection, and so far, nobody he protected had been attacked. But one fateful night, seemingly so much like every other night he had experienced, would be his last.
It was 1:00 in the morning, and he was standing by the Mayor's house, listening and watching for any strange occurrences. Suddenly, he heard a bang - the door of the Mayor's house had been forced open. The Bodyguard sprinted into action. He turned the corner into the house, loaded his own gun, and yelled, “Freeze!” at the Mafioso bolting into the Mayor's study. The Mafioso had no choice: he turned around and unloaded his machine gun, fatally wounding the Bodyguard. But as the loyal guardsman crumpled in pain, he shot the Mafioso three times, killing him before he hit the floor.
The Bodyguard knew he would die, as there was no Doctor to be seen. But despite his fate, he had saved a fellow Town member from the Mafia. He had finally done his job. He closed his eyes, smiled wistfully, and passed into eternity. (credit)
Bulletproof Vest Edit
- If you target yourself, you will use your bulletproof vest, gaining a temporary Basic defense.
- Your vest does not act like a guard; you will not counterattack any attackers.
- If you use a bulletproof vest and get transported, you will instead guard the target you were transported with.
- If you are controlled or transported into yourself, you will not use your bulletproof vest.
- You will receive a message stating: "You were attacked but your bulletproof vest saved you!" if you successfully vest on the night that you are attacked.
Protection - Counterattack Edit
- You can protect your target from one attack during the night and counterattack their attacker. You will die if this happens. If multiple killers attack your target, you will die killing one, but the other will survive and attack your target. Your target can still be protected by other Town Protective roles.
- You will counter an attack made by a Vigilante, Vampire Hunter, Godfather, Mafioso, Vampire, Necromancer's ghoul, Coven Leader (With the Necronomicon), Potion Master, Medusa, Poisoner, Neutral Killing, Pestilence, and a Pirate who wins their duel.
- If your target is attacked by the Necromancer's ghoul, the Necromancer will receive a notification that a Bodyguard countered their ghoul. The Necromancer nor Bodyguard will not be killed in this situation.
- The Coven Leader will only attack with a Necronomicon, so you will not protect your target from being controlled on the first two nights.
- Pestilence will not be killed by your counterattack.
- If you guard an Escort, Consort, or Pirate who roleblocked a Serial Killer or Werewolf (on a full moon), you will save your target and kill the Serial Killer or Werewolf, as it is a forced but direct attack.
- If you guard the Jailor, and they jail the Serial Killer but do not execute them, you will kill the Serial Killer and save the Jailor. The Powerful defense given in jail will not protect them from a Bodyguard's attack.
- If there are multiple Bodyguards protecting the same target, the Bodyguard who joined the lobby first will counterattack. If there are multiple attackers, each Bodyguard will take out a separate attacker.
- A Bodyguard cannot save another Bodyguard who is dying to save their target.
Why Did My Target Die? Edit
- You will not be able to protect your target in the following situations:
- The target was killed by the Veteran or the Jailor.
- The target was another Bodyguard who died in a counterattack.
- The target committed suicide (by leaving the game), being haunted by the Jester, or over guilt as a Vigilante.
- The target was a Veteran who was attacked by the Werewolf.
- The target was jailed by the Jailor.
- Multiple killing roles attacked the target (you counterattack only one of them).
- If none of the above apply, yet your target still dies, at least one of the following may have occurred:
- A Doctor,Crusader,Potion Master or a Guardian Angel can prevent you or the attacker from dying.
- Being healed while counterattacking does not allow you to counter more than one attack on your target.
- If the Werewolf attacks your target directly, you will attack the Werewolf but only save your own target from death.
- As of Version 2.3.2., a Bodyguard cannot stop an Arsonist from dousing. Bodyguards are unable to save a player from being doused or ignited.
- The Bodyguard's counterattack pierces through basic defense when someone attacks the person you guard at night. With this in mind, a Bodyguard can be critical in taking down a Serial Killer, Godfather, or Werewolf.
- If you are attacked but your bullet-proof vest saved you, do not publically announce it because most likely you will be attacked the next night, and there might not be a Doctor or a Lookout to be on you, announce it to confirmed Townies via whispers and try to act like an Executioner or Neutral Killing roles to avoid being killed at night.
- This might backfire as Neutral Killing roles have death notes and might out you for that. Causing suspicion on you and you might be hanged.
- The Bodyguard is unlike the Crusader (it will only counterattack attackers, not visitors in general), therefore, you should guard every night.
- The Mayor is your priority. After being revealed, they cannot be healed by Doctors and are extremely dangerous to killing roles, making them a huge target. Keep in mind they also may try to kill you first, then target the Mayor.
- If the Mafia seem to be attacking people with certain names or are attacking in a pattern, try protecting one of them early on.
- Early on in the game, you can try and protect people that perhaps may not go along with the theme of the game, or a particular nickname. The Mafia may have no lead early on and may try to attack whoever seems fit.
- A risky strategy can be made. Some Mafia and Neutral Killing will not attempt attacking a revealed Mayor, so you can guard someone else, increasing the chance you take down an evil.
- In All Any, you can claim to be a Survivor on Day 1, use your bulletproof vest the same night, and then secretly guard others. This allows for you to secretly protect others while not being a target yourself.
- If you have no leads (this applies especially on day 2), guard the first person who talks that day. Since evil roles tend to be quiet, the person you guard will most likely be a Townie.
- Remember that you will become the priority of most killing roles if you are revealed, since you can kill them. Having a Jailor, Doctor, a Lookout or even another Bodyguard help you is a wise idea.
- Since a Werewolf and an Arsonist can go through your bulletproof vest and are at the top of your priority list, try the best you can to get them hanged.
- If a Retributionist revived someone, the revived person is more likely to be attacked, since they're a confirmed Townie. Because of this, you have more reasons to protect them. Another good thing is that you can be sure that Vigilantes won't shoot them unless a Witch, Coven Leader or Transporter interferes, making it nearly impossible to kill a fellow Townie.
- You could try and find another Bodyguard (or Town Protective role in general) and always guard/protect each other. If someone attacks either of you, the killing role will die. Of course, this can only be used once, so do this wisely.
- If you protect a player that is a non-visiting role and was killed by a rampage attack, they were a Disguiser as you would've counterattacked the rampaging role if they were directly attacked.
- It is better to prioritize trying to kill roles with defense such as Serial Killer, since a Bodyguard killing a Mafioso is the equivalent to the Mafioso shooting the Bodyguard and the Bodyguard being a Vigilante shooting the Mafioso. Taking advantage that the Bodyguard deals Powerful attacks is a good idea.
- Never reveal that you are a Bodyguard. People might think you are a Godfather claiming to be a Bodyguard and get you lynched.