A child that was never meant to talk throughout his whole life. A child that sits in a corner waiting and listening for any slight noise in his vicinity. He crouches to hear voices near by. He then hears the voices needed to make his plan go into action.
He was born in a family of five with the least talent, looks, and athletic ability. The only ability he had was the ability to find "things". The ability to share things throughout his life was unnecessary. He was an outcast, unwanted among the towns people, but he had one thing going for him. You could call this talent, but in all honesty, it was more of a will to find things. The one ability that made him well known in these parts of the area. The ability to find, control, and conquer that the naked eye can not see; the very ability that made him progress through the ranks instead of a dirt poor life. This is the ability to find the information needed to know their most precious thing that they can not share among each other.
It could be either past history, scandals, or hidden secrets. Then the ability to control what is needed to help him win; no matter the risk. This allows his true ability to show his conspiring intentions of bestowing upon the hush-hush tactic against his foes. To use whatever dirt needed to make his foes fall upon their knees in silence. This can be continuous for days or as short as he needs it to be. This is the true ability of conquering the foe. The foes that thought that his ability was pointless and useless throughout the town.
This one pointless ability will bring upon the destruction needed to change this town with his fellow brethren and sisters in the secret society of the Mafia. (credit)
- When a blackmailed target tries to speak, they will simply receive a message saying: "You are blackmailed." and no one will be able to see their original message and their attempt of speaking.
- If the blackmailed target is voted to go on trial during the defense phase, the blackmailed target's message will be changed to "I am blackmailed."
- Your target is also unable to whisper, but they can still be whispered to.
- If you visit a Veteran on alert and you are killed, they will still be blackmailed the next day.
- A blackmailed Mayor can still reveal that day.
- You cannot blackmail a target that was jailed that night. You will be notified that your visit failed and the jailed person will know that someone tried to blackmail them.
- You can't affect your target's ability to write in their Last Will and Death Note.
- You can't affect your target's ability to vote and unvote someone.
- You can hear whispers.
- As a Blackmailer, your role in the Mafia is to silence a confirmed Townie or a person who is accusing a member of the Mafia to make them stop accusing them.
- However, despite having the ability to blackmail, your alternative role is to also serve as a Spy claim, gaining the trust for the Town. This is because you have the same results when an Investigator checks you. (Note: As of version 126.96.36.19937, this strategy is less effective as you can no longer easily "confirm" yourself as a Spy since Spies can no longer read whispers).
- You may also play as a Spy entirely, passing on at day who gets killed, forged, framed, cleaned or investigated to gain the Town's trust. If you see someone get visited but not killed, use that against them (by calling them out as immune) and get them lynched to easily gain majority, while still killing off the remaining Town or threatening Neutrals.
- As the Spy can now bug people's houses and know what notifications their target had received, you can exploit your knowledge of what other members of the Mafia. Don't do this every day, but every once in a while, you can claim you bugged the house of someone who was blackmailed, attacked or roleblocked (by the Consort). Often times, players will announce that they were transported, controlled, roleblocked, etc. You could claim you bugged them, and claim you saw this happen. Have a look at the bugging messages and think of ways you could deceive the other players into thinking you're really the Spy, but don't overdo it. They could get on to you after a while. You could also ask for protection, and distract the Lookout by watching you.
- Feel free to take the opportunity to give false information to the Town. You can be very manipulative with this role. This can confuse the town, and even cause them to not suspect actual members of the Mafia. However, don't make it blatantly obvious that you are indeed giving false information. You will have to be careful when manipulating the town in order not to get caught.
- If the Consigliere finds a Town Investigative or Town Support role, it can be useful to blackmail them than killing them instantly, as they can reveal crucial information in their Last Will. Spies should especially be blackmailed as soon as possible.
- Continue to blackmail the same person for a few nights, then casually ask why they have been so quiet, and it will put suspicion on them. This only works when the person hasn't been giving signals about being blackmailed; additionally, be warned that this will tend to call attention to you - if it later becomes clear they were blackmailed, smart players will immediately be suspicious of anyone who pointed out that they were silent. For this reason, it might be best to wait and hope that a Townie notices their silence on their own.
- Blackmailing the same person repeatedly has a few risks; if they're a Veteran, they'll easily kill you, while if they signal that they were blackmailed, Lookout (or, worse, the Werewolf) may catch you blackmailing them the next night. On the other hand, like any member of the Mafia who visits the same person repeatedly, it has the advantage that you avoid revealing multiple people as non-Mafia to a Spy, although smart Spies will easily notice that the person has been role blocked or blackmailed for a few nights straight, therefore exposing a Blackmailer's existence.
- Blackmailing the Mayor or Town Investigative can be good at making them less effective. Be careful of blackmailing a revealed Mayor as there could be a Lookout watching him, you will be called out by the Lookout due to the Mayor's signal of being blackmailed. The Town Investigative roles might visit a confirmed Veteran in order to get his information out if he has to.
- Neutrals such as the Serial Killer, Werewolf and the Arsonist will have no defense if they are blackmailed, so if you want to get rid of them, blackmail them as soon as possible and accuse them.
- If you are role blocked or your target dies in the same night, you or another member of the Mafia may act as if they have been blackmailed. (You may also simply choose not to blackmail anyone for a night). However, this carries the danger of a Spy calling you out, thus getting you lynched. Only use this if there is no Spy in game.
- Try to blackmail people who are accusing a member of the Mafia or are chatty. Hopefully the Town will go on to other things if you blackmail them for a few nights or if they die.
- If you think you may be put on trial the next day, a good strategy is to not blackmail anyone that night and instead pretend you are blackmailed yourself. Again, this carries a risk of a Spy calling you out. However, if you have a Consort on your side, getting your Consort to role block the Spy, providing you know who the Spy is, prevents the Spy from checking whether you were actually visited.
- If you have a Consort, try targeting the same target. It is usually effective and can create a mis-lynch against someone (e.g a Retributionist that is role blocked cannot do their night action and blackmailed cannot state that they were role blocked).
- If anyone attempts to collect roles via whispers, you can tell this all to the Mafia so they plan their operations more accurately now that the roles of the Townies have been revealed. You can also harvest info from whispers by Town Investigative roles, Jailor or Medium and use them to your Mafia advantage.
- Blackmailing people every night isn't necessarily a good plan; when the Town realizes that people are being blackmailed, it becomes much harder for you to claim Spy, and they're likely to be more cautious with whispers.
- Another possible strategy, especially with four members of the Mafia in a Ranked or Ranked Practice game, is to simply not blackmail at all. Considering the Blackmailer's ability is not as useful as that of others early game, this is not just a viable strategy but a powerful one. The reason being, if you're called up to the stand, this makes a Spy claim much more plausible. If it becomes clear there is an active Blackmailer, many Townies will lynch Spy claims right on the spot. This requires the cooperation of the other members of the Mafia, especially in Ranked Practice, by not having them reveal the existence of a Blackmailer to a real Spy.
- A strategy is to pretend to be blackmailed yourself. If Mafia is struggling mid-game, considering that there is no Spy, remain completely silent, and signal to other players that you are 'blackmailed' by voting and cancelling two times. This will mess up their suspicions, but be careful not to overdo it. Discuss with the Mafia to let different members act blackmailed on different days. Do be warned, if a faking Mafia member is lynched or killed it will immediately draw suspicion on the others. This strategy works better if you haven't blackmailed the previous night. This strategy is not as effective as it once was, since most players in Ranked Practice and Ranked are used to immediately suspecting anyone that claims to be blackmailed, as it is a popular defence for Blackmailers on trial. Also, if you attempt to use the strategy with fellow Mafia members, then a Spy could figure you out and communicate to the Town to not trust Blackmailer claims.
- Be careful when blackmailing people over and over again in the 'Coven Expansion' as a Crusader can protect your target and can kill you.
- You continue to hear whispers after death. While this is rarely useful, it can be used to out mutual enemies to the Medium - or to trick them by lying about a whisper's content.
Dealing with Blackmailers Edit
- If you are a Townie and suspect someone of being blackmailed, use this simple test to determine whether or not the target was blackmailed: ask the suspected person to vote and cancel the vote of someone twice if they are blackmailed; most people will appreciate you for checking.
- If it's proven that someone was blackmailed, ask the Jailor to jail them. The Jailor will collect information of this person and will avoid the Blackmailer doing his work, it may even save the game, since Blackmailers usually blackmail people with important things to say.
- If it turns out that someone was blackmailed, be suspicious of anyone who accused them or who pointed out how silent they were; inexperienced Blackmailers will often accuse the person they blackmailed. In particular, if someone claims to be blackmailed on the stand, anyone who tries to dispute that or suggests that they are faking should be seen as extremely suspicious; it is extraordinary rare for evil roles to fake being blackmailed (due to the high risk of being outed by a Spy). You should almost always vote innocent on people who say they were blackmailed on the stand, and investigate, role block, or even vote up the person who accused them to demand their role.
- Blackmailers will often invent new "rules" about how blackmailing and the blackmailed message works to try and cast suspicion on the person they've been blackmailing. (For instance, complaining that they said they were blackmailed too many or too few times, or too quickly/too slow). Turn it around and look at it from the other direction: Falsely claiming to be blackmailed is an extremely rare and risky strategy, one that has few benefits and which can be easily discounted by a Spy, while Blackmailers trying to get their targets lynched is extremely common. Therefore, any claim that someone who is acting blackmailed is "faking it" should be seen as extremely suspicious, especially if it comes from their main accuser.
- Prior to Version 188.8.131.5231, Blackmailers could not hear private messages.
- Since the release of Version 184.108.40.206.6537, it's more difficult for Blackmailers to claim to be a Spy, as Spies can't hear whispers anymore.