At the graveyard past the meadows of Salem, amidst the broken gravestones and drooping willow trees, a man strolls along a path every day. Nobody knows him or whatever he came here for, and he knows nobody - not even himself.
Past the narrow path, he looks down to each crumbling slab of rock, at the worn names and chiselled last words from people whose faces he's never known. His clothes are ragged just as his memories are shattered, and sometimes he imagines himself lying in the graveyard, under a different face, under a different name that wasn't written on him.
But one night, under the round moon, he stumbles over one fresh gravestone that wasn't there the night before. Sifting aside the dirt, he reads a name and smiles at a jolt across his mind. He knows where he left off, and it's time for him to get back down to business. (credit)
- You can be role blocked from remembering a role.
- You can't remember any Unique Roles, such as the Jailor or Werewolf.
- You will not win if you do not successfully select a role before the game ends.
- If you are killed the night you attempted to remember a role, you will not remember the role, and will die (and lose) as an Amnesiac.
- If a Witch forces you to visit someone and gets killed on the same night, you will remember yourself as a Witch.
- You remember your role after everyone's actions for the night are completed, but before the game checks for victory conditions the next day; you can block an otherwise victorious side from winning in the morning by remembering an opposing role that night.
- If you are bitten by a Vampire the same night you choose to remember a role, you will be converted into a Vampire (this is because Vampires have a higher priority for their ability than you do, your ability's priority is 6, which is the lowest, while theirs is 5).
When choosing a Mafia role:
- If multiple Amnesiacs choose a Mafia role, they can surpass the limit of 5 living members of the Mafia.
- If you choose to become a member of the Mafia when all the other members of the Mafia are dead, you will automatically become the Mafioso. This will be announced the following day.
When choosing a different graveyard role:
- If multiple Amnesiacs choose to be Vampires, they can surpass the limit of 4 living Vampires.
- You cannot select roles that were cleaned by a Janitor.
- You can choose to remember as the role of a dead Amnesiac. The first time you do this, you will earn an achievement, although this can be a disadvantage as it will be announced the following day.
- If you choose to become an Executioner, your target will be one of the currently living Townies, except for the Mayor or Jailor. If there are none or your target dies the same night, you will automatically become a Jester instead. In both cases, the other players will be notified that you turned into an Executioner, not a Jester.
- (Known bug). If you choose to become a Vampire Hunter the same night the last Vampire is killed, you will not turn into a Vigilante, but rather remain a Vampire Hunter for the rest of the game.
- If an Amnesiac selects to remember as a Disguiser who had died as a disguised role, the Amnesiac will remember that he is a Disguiser and it will be publicly announced to the Town.
- If a Disguiser disguises as a unique role and dies, an Amnesiac will not see a button beside the Disguiser's name.
After you have successfully remembered a role:
- Any attributes of your new role will take effect starting the following day; e.g. you will not be night immune, will not see the Mafia window, will not see Mafia visits as a Spy and will not clean any Arsonist's gas until the next night. Fortunately, you will still be able to get achievements for remembering certain roles, e.g. I Am Who I Am (see achievement).
- If you win, it will only count as an Amnesiac win for your achievements.
- You are able to get any other achievements of your new role.
- Revealing as Amnesiac early in the game is risky; it might prevent you from becoming a target if you join the winning team, but it eliminates your anonymity (and most of the fun) if you choose an evil role. Note: If you reveal and announce you will claim Survivor the next night, you are almost guaranteed a win, if you indeed become a Survivor.
- Try not to talk too much or make yourself a target before you pick a role. You do not want Investigators finding out who you are if you are picking an evil role nor do you want to be killed by the Mafia or Serial Killer at night before or the night you choose a role.
- If you reveal you are an Amnesiac to one team, it would be in your best interest to earn their trust and protection by remembering a role that places you on their side. If you do reveal and remember an opposing role, like the Mafia or a Neutral Killing, you place yourself at an enormous risk of getting killed.
- If you survive long enough, you can remember being an Arsonist the last night of the game and win in the following stalemate, since the Arsonist wins in a stalemate versus most roles, namely the Godfather, the Serial Killer and the Jailor if he has no executions. This is especially successful if you play the rest of the game with a benign attitude, remaining neutral, appearing to be AFK, being discovered and keeping it neutral, making the Town believe you are a Survivor, etc.
- If your role is known and there is a living Town Protective, you could choose to become one too and let the other protect you. Be careful, though! If somebody says they are a protective role, and tells you to change into a role, then they might be tricking you because if you heal them, they can't die.
- Survivor: Outside forces such as Jailor and Investigator may threaten you to join their side if they find out you're Amnesiac. Try to claim to be a Survivor, if possible, but if there's only one Neutral Benign role and you pick your role, it will be obvious that you are Amnesiac. Even worse, the Town might lynch you because they thought there was already another Neutral Benign. Additionally, an Investigator may suspect you as a Forger though and ask the Town to lynch you.
- If the game seems like it will end soon, but there is no clear winning team, don't try and wait another night. If the game ends and you haven't picked a side yet, you don't win despite staying alive. Even if everyone but the Amnesiacs die, you will still lose.
- If there are multiple Amnesiacs in the game and one of the others gets outed, you can take advantage of this by remembering an evil role yourself, which will likely get them lynched (and increase your chance of winning as a member of the Mafia.) Be careful though, the person that was getting called out could be a Mafia member, or your future ally.
- You have the ability to near-perfectly confirm yourself as any role by announcing what you intend to recall the day before you remember. This works best if you're about to recall an uncontroversial role like Survivor, but you can also use it to confirm yourself as a Witch to an entirely evil Town. There is one risk when doing this; another Amnesiac may remember a different role and get you lynched or killed at night.
- If you are playing All Any, its better to side with the Mafia rather than the Town.
- It may be tempting to simply wait for a role you want and recall that. While this option is one of the most fun parts of playing Amnesiac, remember that your desired role may not be in the game or may not die.
- One strategy for Amnesiacs is to wait until later in the game, then become a role with the team that seems to be winning. This will add another vote for the team you chose (i.e: Mafia, Town, etc.), boost your chances of winning, and allow you to appeal to that side if they try to lynch you. The downside to this is that you risk being killed before then (since, unlike Town and Mafia, you can't win while dead.)
- If you are being threatened into remembering a Mafia role by the Mafia that has identified you using a Consigliere, you can remember a Town role with the ability to protect itself, such as a Doctor, Bodyguard, or Transporter, and call them out. Doing this has the added advantage that exposing a Mafia will increase your chances of winning as Town; however, make sure the Town can still win before joining them.
- When you've been exposed as an Amnesiac to the Town, your options are more limited; remembering an evil role in this situation is likely to get you lynched. Remembering a role capable of protecting itself (especially Transporter, which can protect itself indefinitely) is still a good idea.
- Remembering Executioner is effective when you're certain the Town no longer has a majority; you can simply reveal and try to get the evils to lynch your new target with you. However, there are some warnings. If the game has devolved into two competing evil factions, they may not be eager to lynch a Town member (since they need to defeat each other.) Additionally, if the Town has been entirely eliminated (by Vampires, for instance), you might become a Jester instead.
- Remembering Witch is also a good choice if you think the Town no longer has a majority; simply remember Witch and announce your choice.
- Similarly, while incredibly boring, remembering Survivor (often announcing you will do so the day before you do, so there's no risk of confusion) will usually guarantee a victory. Some Townies might choose to lynch you out of fear that you'll side against them, and there is a slim risk of being bitten by a Vampire, but for the most part nobody will have a reason to bother you and you'll coast to victory. Remembering Survivor may also be your only hope of winning when (as is often the case) the rest of the graveyard is entirely filled with the losing side.
- Remembering Jester is very risky (since the Town will be alerted to the existence of a Jester), but may be a good idea if, for whatever reason, it seems like you're about to get lynched. Additionally, while it's a risky choice, it's sometimes your only option for victory when facing a victorious majority who has no non-unique roles in the graveyard. If facing a Mafia who hasn't lost anyone, for instance, you could remember Jester and try to appear to be a Veteran so they lynch you rather than killing you at night. One advantage to this is that anyone else on the losing side who catches on is likely to help you get voted up, since they'll want the Mafia to lynch you as well; for instance, if you start acting like a Veteran, a real Veteran will likely realize you're the Jester and could start acting like a Jester to support you.
- You could try and be a confirmed Townie; demand that you get protection and will remember a Town role, remember that role, then direct everyone. Unlike Mayor, you can get healed by a Doctor and can get whispered to. However, the Town might be reluctant to listen to you.
- Prior to Version 1.1.0 which was released on May 3rd of 2015. Amnesiacs were able to win without selecting a role to remember as.
- Prior to Version 1.5.10. Amnesiacs could remember cleaned roles.