It was a cold room, distant from the rest of the world. Cigar smoke abundant in the air, the translucent substance masking two figures sitting across from one another. "You seek me, and you have found me, what's more, before I could find you. I'm rather impressed." Vocalized an Italian man, puffing on a cigar, he drew it down to an ashtray, and relieved it of its duties. It had fulfilled its purpose; much like every goon and mafioso in the past had for him. "I was unsure to who else I could seek. Truth is," the figure smiles menacingly, "When I broke out, my urge to kill was too much for me to control. Who better than The Godfather?" Mused a raspy voice, the smile enduring through the comment.
Utter silence filled the room, and the smoke began to dissipate. The Godfather rolls his tongue around in his mouth before speaking rest assuringly, "Very well Mr. Serial Killer, I'm a family man. I'll take care of you, but in return I ask of one thing." The Serial Killer's smile widened, "Oh?" He asked faintly, "That you treat this family, as they are, family, more so than even your own, capisce?" Replied the man across from him, a serious look on his face. The Serial Killer shrugged, "My family died, I killed them, but I can assure you that won't happen. So long, you keep me... "Occupied."" Said the Serial Killer in return.
A grim smirk formed across The Godfather's face, and he leaned back in his chair, propping his feet on the table between the two; placing a cigar in his mouth, and lighting it, the male spoke, though gibberish in sounding, still audible, "I have the perfect place for you, my friend," he continued on, shifting the cigar away from his lips, "and I think you will fulfill its purpose rather well." The words echoed in the back of the Serial Killer's mind, as he leaped from the bushes tackling a nosy Lookout, digging his knife into the unsuspecting victims chest countless times. A crazed look filled the murderer's eyes, as he laughed admiring his victim's demise. The Godfather watched from afar, a satisfied grin on his face. "Only those who admire you from a distance will know, my sweet Ambusher."
- You can choose to lie in wait at someone's house each night. You will deal a Basic to one random visitor. Other Mafia visitors cannot be attacked.
- All visitors of your target will learn your name. Mediums and Retributionists can prove to be major threats.
- When all other Mafia Killing roles die, you will be promoted to a Mafioso.
- You cannot select yourself or a Mafia member to lie in wait at their/your house.
- You are counted as a harmful visitor and will cross-cancel with Bodyguards and trigger Trapper traps.
- You receive no notification of any visitors you attack that are immune.
- Ambush important confirmed Townies. The Town would likely protect them allowing you to be able to kill them. This will always help with big hindrances such as Lookouts and Town Protective roles.
- Take note that if you choose a target protected by a Bodyguard, both of you will die.
- You only kill one visitor to your target and you are revealed to all other visitors, so be careful who you ambush. Randomly choosing a target early on is not a good idea, as it reveals your presence and likely won't have a huge impact on the Town.
- It is usually smart to ambush people who are usually quiet as you may hit a Town Investigative.
- Your goal is to kill off visiting protective roles to open them up for the Mafia to kill directly. This means you should focus on people who you know won't be visited twice but by at least one person in order to kill them. This can open them up for the Mafia to kill later. Two kills per night can be a major help, especially if the Mafia needs majority as quick as possible to win.
- You should also try to target the possible targets of Town Investigatives. Waiting around a suspicious Townie or possible Neutral Killing can take them out.
- If you know that the Doctor is healing a Town role, visit the person that they are healing. You will kill the Doctor and leave the Townie vulnerable.
- If you are dealing with Vampires or Coven members, you can single-handedly take them out yourself if you know who they would go for. Vampires want to go for open targets to convert, and the Coven wants to kill off or investigate roles that may do them harm. Waiting around these targets can take them out.
- If you manage to kill a visiting Vampire, have the Mafia attack your original target the next night. If they weren't killed, there is a high chance of them being a new Vampire themselves! However, they can also be an immune role, which can waste a night of killing, but place their name in your Last Will or Death Note to out them and divert attention.
- Try visiting a person who has been accused of "being suspicious". This will most likely guarantee a hit against a Town Investigative role but still be careful of those being extremely suspicious as they, most likely, will be visited by more than one person, giving away your role. Beware, because Werewolves also use this tactic.
- Consider visiting the same person over and over again. You are more likely to hit someone if you stick to one player, as at some point, someone will probably decide to visit that player. Alternatively, this can be a bad idea, as you are more likely to be tagged by a Bodyguard if you continuously visit the target. This can also be a bad strategy if you think more than one person will be visiting your target.
- Although rare, if you are in a case where you and a Mafioso are stuck against a Bodyguard and Doctor combo, you can break it as you can deal two separate attacks to the Doctor and kill them, as Bodyguards only protect from one attack. This does cost a Mafia member but is worth it as it allows you to kill the Bodyguard. Have the Mafioso attack the Doctor while you place an ambush on the Bodyguard. This deals two attacks against the Doctorand will kill them.
- Do not fall for bait! It may be tempting to want to go on someone who seems to be acting strange, but even if they aren't a Veteran, Medusa, or a baiting Pestilence/Werewolf, they are more likely to be visited by multiple people, and thus your identity may be revealed.
- If needed, you can cancel with a Crusader to kill each other, although this is a last resort.
- An important mechanic of the Ambusher is to avoid getting your identity revealed, even if you kill a single player without anybody else visiting them.
- If there is a Medium in the game, tell the Godfather or Mafioso to kill them. Doing so will prevent your identity being revealed in the event someone sees you and dies. However, they may still seance a player and tell them about the Ambusher.
- This also applies to Retributionists, try to kill them before they can revive anybody.
- Be aware that you may try to attack an immune role and your identity will be revealed.